Sun: Cubs Offer Ceden, Gallagher, Veal and maybe a 4th player - For Roberts

NATTYBO's

Since we are playing with unlikely-to-happen scenarios: If the Cubs include Pie in the trade, what are the chances that the Os send Luke Scott to the Cubs as part of the deal and get Murton back?

Regardless, though, I still don't believe that Roberts will play for the Cubs this year.

Why would the Cubs trade their starting CF (Pie) so they could add an OF (Scott) that can't play CF and add a better hitter (Murton)than the player you're sending us? That leaves the Cubs without a CF and with a weaker 4th OF.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since we are playing with unlikely-to-happen scenarios: If the Cubs include Pie in the trade, what are the chances that the Os send Luke Scott to the Cubs as part of the deal and get Murton back?

Regardless, though, I still don't believe that Roberts will play for the Cubs this year.

My guess is we'd keep Scott and forget about Murton. After all, Scott is reasonaly young, cheap, and under contract for a few more years.

The more this drags out, the more convinced I am that Pie is going to be a part of the deal. Especially with the revelation that the Cubs might be trying to trade for Crisp.

Hopefully, all will be revealed soon.

Why would the Cubs trade their starting CF (Pie) so they could add an OF (Scott) that can't play CF and add a better hitter (Murton)than the player you're sending us? That leaves the Cubs without a CF and with a weaker 4th OF.

Sorry, but I thought my "If" was enough of a qualifier, as well as calling the deal an "unlikely-to-happen scenario." I do not actually believe the Cubs will in fact trade Pie. My suggestion was only playing off the previous posts that Pie might be included in the deal if the Cubs could get Crisp from Boston. IF Pie was included, would flipping Murton for Scott make the deal more palatable for the Cubs?

Although I think Murton is a better hitter (although Scott has more power), the Cubs may think that Scott's LH bat and power fits better into the Cubs outfield than Murton's RH bat. Didn't Hendry once say that Murton's only problem was that he wasn't a left-handed hitter?

Although I think Murton is a better hitter (although Scott has more power), the Cubs may think that Scott's LH bat and power fits better into the Cubs outfield than Murton's RH bat. Didn't Hendry once say that Murton's only problem was that he wasn't a left-handed hitter?

The two are pretty close as hitters, although I slightly prefer Scott. The major differences between the two is that Murton is four years younger, but Scott is one additional year away from free agency.

I don't think the swap makes much sense for the Orioles, and it would still leave them with an extra outfielder (assuming we are still in Pie fantasy land).

If Pie's included (operative word being "if," I don't want the Cubs fans attacking me), how does that change our roster? Would Jones move to LF or back to SS? Would Pie move to LF? Also, what would happen with Scott?

Decisions, decisions.

We'd have 2 OF spots (LF and CF) and 3 guys. While both Jones and Pie are highly regarded, and Scott looks good when you look closely, it's not like any of them are sure things. So, you've got 2 jobs and 3 guys. You give the talent to DT and tell him to sort it out. DT has DH issues to deal with too. If we had all 3 of those guys, then all 3 would get tons of time playing the OF. The result would be a talent competition and finding out exactly who's who. It would not be about making trades to move any of these guys, especially not for this year. Neither would it be DT assigning sure-thing roles on Day 1 to each guy. He's have all this talent, and he'd use this season to sort it out.

I think it would an absolutely great thing to do. It would let AM cross OF off of his To Do List, which is a whole lot to accomplish in 1 off-season, given where he started from. That, plus the other guys he got, that's getting a whole lot done in just 1 winter.

There's no way they'll make Scott a part-time player - he's the showpiece from the Tejada trade.

Huff or Millar gets traded in the unlikely scenario that Pie comes to the O's. Probably Huff.

I suppose they could also try to flip Scott for a middle infielder, but I don't see that getting done before opening day.

That's what I'm saying in this scenario...Pie, Jones, Markakis in OF, Scott at DH. Millar mostly at 1B. Huff coming in and rotating between 1B, DH, LF and wherever to play a few games each week until someone gets traded/injured.

The Cubs just need to bag this whole thing and go with DeRosa. The upgrade to Roberts is just not worth 3-4 solid young players.

PECOTA EqA projections:

DeRosa 90th = .300; Roberts 60th .298

DeRosa 75th = .286; Roberts 40th .286

DeRosa 60th = .274; Roberts 25th .275

Lots of scenarios there where Roberts is no upgrade over DeRosa at all.

The Cubs just need to bag this whole thing and go with DeRosa. The upgrade to Roberts is just not worth 3-4 solid young players.

PECOTA EqA projections:

PECOTA EqA projections:

Melvin Mora 90th = .296; Aramis Ramirez 60th .298

Melvin Mora 75th = .278; Aramis Ramirez 25th .278

Melvin Mora 60th = .266; Aramis Ramirez 10th .261

If Pie's included (operative word being "if," I don't want the Cubs fans attacking me), how does that change our roster? Would Jones move to LF or back to SS? Would Pie move to LF? Also, what would happen with Scott?

Decisions, decisions.

It is sad we have to be afraid to offend CUBS fans all the time on an O's board. :confused:

PECOTA EqA projections:

If you keep saying it to yourself enough times I bet you start to believe it.:rolleyes:

Decisions, decisions.

If Pie is included the package gets smaller.I say it would be Imo Pie,Gallagher and Cedeno.With that being said I can't see Hendry including Pie but you never no.What people forget to is that Hendry has to win top keep his job with new owner coming in next year.

PECOTA EqA projections:

Is there a reason you have never acknowledged the much larger likelihood that DeRosa declines??

Those numbers don't take into account speed and defense either.

BRob is 2-4 wins better than DeRosa....That is just the way it is(or at least likely to be)..Put BRob in the worse league and division and sit him 10-15 games and he may be much better than that.

The Cubs are, without question, a better team with BRob than without and you guys need to actually win at some point.

As much as you pump and overhype your system, you should be fine trading a few guys out of it for the sake of actually winning.

If Pie is included the package gets smaller.I say it would be Imo Pie,Gallagher and Cedeno.With that being said I can't see Hendry including Pie but you never no.What people forget to is that Hendry has to win top keep his job with new owner coming in next year.

Pie, Gallagher, and Cedeno would be too much for Roberts. That is, unless Hendry is feeling generous. ;)

Is there a reason you have never acknowledged the much larger likelihood that DeRosa declines??

Those numbers don't take into account speed and defense either.

BRob is 2-4 wins better than DeRosa....That is just the way it is(or at least likely to be)..Put BRob in the worse league and division and sit him 10-15 games and he may be much better than that.

The Cubs are, without question, a better team with BRob than without and you guys need to actually win at some point.

As much as you pump and overhype your system, you should be fine trading a few guys out of it for the sake of actually winning.

I agree with you Roberts makes the Cubs a better team.What a lineup that would be.Common Hendry get it done.

Archived