The Bos stickin it to Peter again.

fansince71

We're approaching 10 losing seasons in a row, in what universe is this successful? Excuse me for wanting more wins, a better lineup, less mistakes and most of all a clear plan that our front office is actually allowed to execute without interference. And, our opponents ARE leaving with a smile because they beat us every year (as their fans cheer them on in our own ballpark).

And it's all his fault ::rolling eyes::

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And if you look north of the standings you see teams with consistent winning records and playoff appearances. Angelos' way has not worked for 10 years now. What's the worst that could happen if he stepped aside and let the team be rebuilt in Flanagan and Duquette's vision?

Either way, I don't think we'll see eye to eye. Good talk coach, see ya out there :)

I must be getting cranky as I get older (wiser in my view).

I am SO tired of Angelos. Really.

But, I am also SO tired of Bosworth writing on Angelos. Get over it already.

One at odds with the other? Go figure.

AND, one more, I am REALLY tired of reading threads debating whether Angelos is a terrible pariah or an unfairly criticized swell guy.

Just play baseball O's and win and make all of this go away, for the love of all that is blessed and good. ;)

I must be getting cranky as I get older (wiser in my view).

I am SO tired of Angelos. Really.

But, I am also SO tired of Bosworth writing on Angelos. Get over it already.

One at odds with the other? Go figure.

AND, one more, I am REALLY tired of reading threads debating whether Angelos is a terrible pariah or an unfairly criticized swell guy.

Just play baseball O's and win and make all of this go away, for the love of all that is blessed and good. ;)

M-Bird. Truer words were never spoken.

Angelos is the reality we have to deal with. Criticsive him when he deserves it, but don't be afraid to praise him when he deserves it as well.

He's a crappy owner but, in the end, he is a temporary inconvenience.

I like having Brian Roberts at second base and leading off.

Adding 4 relievers looks like a pretty smart move.

I still think Penn will be in the rotation by mid season.

Picking up Guthrie and releasing Salas looks pretty smart.

There are teams with a lot money then the O's that have problems at first. Who is the Yankees first baseman?

Didn't the owner of the Astros nix the Oswalt deal? People have to get over this. Owners will always have the last word and often take it in deals involving star players.

Take whoever it is that you think is the best owner in baseball and then ask yourself if he would demand to approve any deal involving one of his three best players.

Yes, Angelos interferes too much. But I don't think you can fault him on the Roberts deal. His reasoning is sound.

But I don't think you can fault him on the Roberts deal. His reasoning is sound.
I do agree with this, although not on the last part.

His reasoning is NOT sound - for him, it was about keeping a "name" player. It also just so happens that LaRoche is overrated and Giles was about to be released. He HAPPENED to get that one right. And that doesn't speak well for the FO. They were about to trade Roberts and Penn for LaRoche. Giles was dead weight.

The owner vetoing a deal centered around roberts is not the main worry coming out of the scrapped ATL deal. The thing that worries me is the FO must believe that Robert's 2005 season was a complete fluke. We were going to get a pretty good looking young 1b and a barely servicable 2b for Roberts and a very good SP prospect. Penn gets you Giles plus a little striaghtup in my opinion. So being has though a second baseman that puts up numbers like Roberts did in '05 is much more valuable than an average to a little above average 1b, especially a 2b who is an effective leadoff guy, shows that the FO thinks that there is little to no chance Roberts returns to anything approaching '05 numbers. Which puts me in a quandry. I hope the FO is as stupid has many think they are and were completely wrong in thinking this was a good deal. If not then the team will likely fail to be much better this season. But if the FO is wrong we will likely continue to pick the wrong players to plan our future around.

Thats a pretty silly statement. He's an excellent writer no matter what the subject. Maybe he doesnt know everything about the Orioles but i think he has a good understanding about IDIOT owners - PollinSnyderAngelos.

I tend to think he at least 'gets it' regarding how to run a ballclub. I don't think anyone here would argue with his points about the managing partner taking a hands on / micro managing style in an industry that's outside his area of knowledge. Bos is right - take your hands off the throat, Peter, to avoid strangling what you claim to hold so dearly (paraphrased for my pleasure...)

I did not like the proposed Roberts trade, but I think Boswell's criticism of Angelos' meddling is 100% correct. The points he makes about how other teams and players feel about dealing with the Orioles are very telling.

We never close deals? What do you call trading R-Lo? Bigbie? Mayne and Julio? C-Pat? Sosa? We don't close deals? We might not close all of them, but we certainly have closed quite a few.

The Sosa trade is not a good example as that was widely reported as an Angelos trade. As for your other examples.....YAWN. So we are able to make some middling deals here and there. Have any of those deals improved the team? R-Lo for two minor league relievers. Bigbie for Byrnes (who was subsequently non-tendered). Maine and Julio for Benson who was servicable last year but who is also probably done as an Oriole. CPat for.....?? Fontenot? Spears? God, I don't even remember. Regardless, that was not a blockbuster deal. CPat was very good last year. Hopefully, he will do as well this year. But, that's it -- I bet he's outta here after 2007.

My final post for the morning... I'm not saying that Angelos is the best owner ever. Could we get better? Absolutely! Is he the second coming of Satan? No. Don't villify him because he tries. A ton of owners do the exact same thing. If you look north in the standings, you'll see three teams whose owners do the same thing.

Looking north in the standings -- I see NY, Boston, and Toronto. NY -- I'll give you. Steinbrenner does interfere with Cashman -- but not nearly to the extent that he used to interfere. As for John Henry (Red Sox) and Rogers Communications (Blue Jays), I don't recall any incidents where they have "interfered" with their GMs. Theo Epstein is so highly regarded in Boston that John Henry cried (IIRC) about Theo's (temporary) resignation, and Theo was brought back into the fold 3 months after his resignation. In Toronto, JP Ricciardi was given an expanded budget during the 2005 off-season and signed a plethora of FAs (BJ Ryan, AJ Burnett, et al). This past season, he requested even more money for payroll from Rogers. And, more importantly, received it.

How, precisely, do John Henry and Rogers Communications "interfere" with Epstein and Ricciardi?

Witchy

Archived