Past off season and Dan Duquette/Blue Jays distraction.

kelsey59

:laughlol:

And case in point.

This guy goes too far pretty much all of the time.

I don't agree with his POV and he has to make it personal.

*Shrugs* Guess some folks just can't exist in a world where there's a difference of opinion. (Not generalizing, talking specifically about this guy).

MSK

Didn't I just get done telling you "Never assume that things aren't being addressed behind the scenes?" Feel free to report what is against the rules, but stay out of these back and forths. Enough!

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For one thing, the Yankees spent money on the best available talent whenever they could and even though many frowned on their spending, a couple of their big money guys like Tex and ARod are keeping them in the race.

Now, if the Orioles manage to kick things into gear, I will apologize for arguing with "prominent" members of the board and will continue to support the team as I always have.

This isn't Monday morning quarterbacking, it's just based on watching baseball for most of my life. Getting the best players usually equates into winning more games which usually leads to championships.

MSK

Don't bring any "group" of people or other poster up again. Talk about yourself, and the team.

From my viewpoint, criticizing DD because he doesn't spend millions more than he did is foolish and unhelpful. If it happened once or twice a year, I'd just ignore it but it happens in thread-after-thread-after-thread by the same handful of folks.

I think we all have problems with this. We want an even playing field, one that treats all teams equal. But we do not want parity or competition for our own players. It makes quite the quandry. And I don't think it is the sport we follow, or are likely to follow and I don't think any of it is helpful.

I am glad that our owner is generally good to people as a whole and not a misogynist or terrible robber baron. I am glad he does not think that prices should be raised to the level that only wealthy clients can afford his services.

I am glad that we have a quality GM that is somewhat effective with a constrained budget. And I am unhappy that the overlords chose to make a backroom deal that has put us in a punitive situation for the rest of my lifetime.

What? A pre-requisite for criticizing our GM is submitting a fully constructed team within budget?

I'll admit, it is a lot easier to advocate for certain signings without the burden of actually determining if those signings will fit within reasonable estimates of payroll limits.

From my viewpoint, criticizing DD because he doesn't spend millions more than he did is foolish and unhelpful.

Maybe it would help if we added a signature line with something like this:

"This post should not be taken as an express or implied endorsement of the apparent payroll dictated by Peter Angelos and the other owners. It is simply an attempt to further the discussions of a competitive Orioles team, now and in the future, within the limit of that reality. We're all good with a future where a fairy godmother has granted the Orioles a payroll 50% higher than the Yanks, but it ain't happening."

I'll admit, it is a lot easier to advocate for certain signings without the burden of actually determining if those signings will fit within reasonable estimates of payroll limits.

And when questioned about that advocacy, I do suspect some semblance of how to financially accomplish it is appropriate to be asked for.

I am ok with these arguments for this.

1. Can't take it with you.

2. The sons need to make a way for themselves in the world.

3. Baltimore does not deserve your money.

4. You should run your business better so you too can make more money.

5. It's not all about the money.

6. I am not fond of donations to the National Trust.

7. I don't care about anyone one else. This is all about my enjoyment.

8. Ravens.

9. Prices keep going up.

10. Just Win One and we won't ask for more.

This isn't me against the board.

It's me answering a question I was asked directly.

I don't want sympathy at all. Never once asked for it, don't care for it really.

The only thing I truly want is for a few folks here to be honest about their snarkiness and group-think mentality and admit that they attack people unfairly. That's about it.

MSK

I admit to snark. But when you get 80% of the board to agree 2+2=4 it's not groupthink.

:laughlol:

And case in point.

This guy goes too far pretty much all of the time.

I don't agree with his POV and he has to make it personal.

*Shrugs* Guess some folks just can't exist in a world where there's a difference of opinion. (Not generalizing, talking specifically about this guy).

MSK

Your arguments. He's attacking your arguments. You say you don't want sympathy but you live to be the victim and fancy yourself some kind of martyr.

I admit to snark. But when you get 80% of the board to agree 2+2=4 it's not groupthink.

Of course not. And anyone who thinks it is IS trolling. When you are an ARMY of one, it's time to go start your own Orioles Blog.

Of course not, but do you think advocating for signing "the best talent available" generally and specifically Miller, Cruz, and Markakis this past offseason while ignoring the overall budget is a value-added conversation? Within the last page one of the front offices biggest critics has written (without any trace of irony) how the Yankees spend what is necessary to sign/retain top talent and the Orioles don't. I don't see how that is at all helpful. No kidding, because the Yankees have an almost unlimited budget and the Orioles certainly don't.

From my viewpoint, criticizing DD because he doesn't spend millions more than he did is foolish and unhelpful. If it happened once or twice a year, I'd just ignore it but it happens in thread-after-thread-after-thread by the same handful of folks.

I also want to highlight the notion that DD passed up on available moves (see page one). Still nobody can seem to point to an offseason move "missed" and say that we should have been all over it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And when questioned about that advocacy, I do suspect some semblance of how to financially accomplish it is appropriate to be asked for.

I am ok with these arguments for this.

1. Can't take it with you.

2. The sons need to make a way for themselves in the world.

3. Baltimore does not deserve your money.

4. You should run your business better so you too can make more money.

5. It's not all about the money.

6. I am not fond of donations to the National Trust.

7. I don't care about anyone one else. This is all about my enjoyment.

8. Ravens.

9. Prices keep going up.

10. Just Win One and we won't ask for more.

I guess this was not as good as I thought it was ;)

I also want to highlight the notion that DD passed up on available moves (see page one). Still nobody can seem to point to an offseason move "missed" and say that we should have been all over it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They'll never go into specifics. That way they're never wrong and can continually beat the drum.

So what are the facts here?

1) DD did not improve the team substantially (as in at all).

2) DD is working with Angelos' budget and therefore cannot spend any money on anything other than arbitration.

3) DD replaced proven talent with AAAA-level guys.

4) DD placed an inordinate amount of faith on Davis, Wieters and Machado rebounding and/or replicating past performances.

Wieters is back and put on a great performance yesterday, but let's see what happens in three weeks.

Here's hoping the team gets on track!

MSK

Archived