The Hector Veloz Era is Over

Oldorioles

1B Cory Segui?

Wasn't Veloz the big money international signing?

From MLBTR:

The Orioles have signed Dominican third baseman Hector Veloz, writes Ben Badler of Baseball America. The O's director of international scouting, David Stockstill, confirmed to Dan Connolly of The Baltimore Sun that the club has reached agreement on a deal with the 16-year-old.

Veloz reportedly received $300K, which would be a franchise record signing bonus for a Dominican amateur. Badler writes that the prospect has shown plus raw power from the right side, though his hitting in games has been spotty. For Veloz's deal to become official, he will have to pass a drug test. The youngster tested positive for an anabolic steroid in May.

I would prefer the O's sign a lot more of these 300k potential busts. I'm sure every team realizes most of these 16 year old Dominicans (if they really are 16), are never going to sniff the majors. However, the more you sign the better your chances of getting an impact big leaguer. We're not going to spend the money on quality, so we should go with quantity.

I've seen Veloz play a lot. It was obvious he was never going to amount to anything. He seemed to think he was orders of magnitude better than her really was. The best I could explain it was that he strutted around like Jose Canseco.

I remember an Aberdeen game last year where he loafed through his warmup tosses between innings. He threw a ball to the stands. Then when play started, he made a dumb error throwing behind a runner making a turn at first after an infield hit, going for a sexy play while another advanced easily as a result. He didn't jog out for the next inning.

IIRC, Veloz was our first signing on Baseball America's Top 40 international prospects, besides being the largest franchise international signing bonus. Nice to see the Orioles compete w other teams for some of the more covered prospects .... Wish we did that more often.

Archived