Reggie Sanders for Todd Williams???????

bigbird

I may send Burres (or Birkins) and Todd Williams for Donachie. We need to add catching prospects and we need to dump T. Williams. Birkins or Burres appear to be very expendable at this point. Would the Royals do the deal? What would it take to get him back? The FO seemed to really like the kid.

No way we need the old and always injured Sanders. Huber is not a bad pickup, but we already have many similar types in House, Knott, Dubois and Millar. The only OF I like with the Royals is DeJesus, but he bats LH.

I don't understand what the difficulty is for the FO???? It's easy: only keep 12 pitchers and have a bench = Gomez, Bako, Knott (over Millar) and Bynum. Who needs an old DH, who bats RH and can't hit LHP's? Bynum will hit much better than he has so far this spring. Who knows what is going on there. Has Crowley been revamping his swing path like he did for Patterson? DL Payton and keep DuBois up until Payton makes his way back.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nobody else was saying that though.

The comp list simply says right now Huber's career outlook looks like this player's did at this particular point in history, and this other player's did at another point in history, etc.

DrungoHazewood was saying they are the same player...

There isn't a whole lot of difference between Huber, House, Knott, and Dubois, except that Knott and Dubois can play the outfield, House can catch, and Huber is just a bad first baseman.
Ok, but for 2007 they're pretty much all the same players, just with different defensive profiles.

DrungoHazewood was saying they are the same player...

Right now they are. If you're looking for a solution that will be here in 2009 or something, they might not be. Huber is probably better suited for that. They would need to weigh that against the fact that House, Knott, and Dubois are free, while Huber will cost the rough equivalent of a #8 prospect in the organization.

I see The Post has picked up on this Sanders nonsense... not the nonsense part, but the fact that "The Orioles have a standing offer from the KC Royals for outfielder Reggies Sanders... but they've yet to decide whether they'll accept the offer."

Just for fun, let's look at some weighted mean PECOTAs:

Sanders: .250/.319/.466

Dubois: .248/.311/.450

Knott: .255/.327/.467 (and this hasn't been updated to reflect he's not in cavernous PETCO park anymore)

They're looking at giving the Royals Brian Burres or Kurt Birkins for a player who is no better than what we already have. Not only that, but Sanders' attrition rate (which is, essentially, the chance that he'll play his way into forced retirement this year) is 44%. PECOTA thinks it's nearly a 50/50 bet that Sanders won't play well enough to stay in major league baseball through 2007. The attrition rates for Dubois and Knott are around 10%. They're considering giving up a possibly useful arm for what is likely a downgrade over freely available talent already on hand.

Oh, and KC probably isn't going to pick up all of Sanders' $5M contract, so they'll also be paying him several times what they'd be paying Knott or Dubois.

If they do this, I'll be beside myself. There is no rational defense for this. It should tell you something when a cash-strapped, small-market team trying desperately to get better is willing to pay several million dollars to have another team make their mistake go away.

I may send Burres (or Birkins) and Todd Williams for Donachie. We need to add catching prospects and we need to dump T. Williams. Birkins or Burres appear to be very expendable at this point. Would the Royals do the deal? What would it take to get him back? The FO seemed to really like the kid.

No way we need the old and always injured Sanders. Huber is not a bad pickup, but we already have many similar types in House, Knott, Dubois and Millar. The only OF I like with the Royals is DeJesus, but he bats LH.

I don't understand what the difficulty is for the FO???? It's easy: only keep 12 pitchers and have a bench = Gomez, Bako, Knott (over Millar) and Bynum. Who needs an old DH, who bats RH and can't hit LHP's? Bynum will hit much better than he has so far this spring. Who knows what is going on there. Has Crowley been revamping his swing path like he did for Patterson? DL Payton and keep DuBois up until Payton makes his way back.

Please tell me why everybody is so against Todd. He has pretty good ST stats, and he's pitching better than most, in that very expensive BP. Yes he has a lot of hits, but the runs across the plate are what count, and he has only given up 2. Last year was a bad year for the whole BP, we need to forget last year. I think if the O's what to keep Parrish and still want to go with 12 man pitching staff, they need to send him to the minors and keep Todd. I believe Todd is going to have a very good year.

Please tell me why everybody is so against Todd. He has pretty good ST stats, and he's pitching better than most, in that very expensive BP. Yes he has a lot of hits, but the runs across the plate are what count, and he has only given up 2. Last year was a bad year for the whole BP, we need to forget last year. I think if the O's what to keep Parrish and still want to go with 12 man pitching staff, they need to send him to the minors and keep Todd. I believe Todd is going to have a very good year.

Dear Todd,

I think everyone knows what you are. A guy that can come in and get a ground ball in a pinch, but over extended periods of time are going to get hit. We have Chad Bradford, who already fills that role. And BTW, Parrish throws hard, left handed, and strikes a lot of guys out. You do none of those things buddy. You gave us some great innings the last two years, but thanks to our new bullpen, you are just the odd man out. Hopefully we can get something of value for you from the Mets or Royals, and I'll wish you the best of luck in KC or NY.

P.S. No more intentional walks please.

I don't know might be the fact that batters hit over 300 against him or the Whip in the 2.+ range. So in otherwords except for the times he give up a hit or a walk he is a pretty effective pitcher.

Listening to to game yesterday Mazzone and Perlozzo were quoted by the broadcast team several time as having said Parrish had pitched his way on to the team. The feeling was the choice was between Gutherie and Williams or both, if we went with 13 P's. Sam in his interview, seemed to be leaning towards the 12 man staff IMO. He kept saying that if the pen got taxed Norfolk was just a few hours away and 12 should be plenty in most cases and if they went with 13 it would only be for a few turns of the rotation.

Parrish is a no-brainer to me. He fills 2 needs: a 2nd lefty reliever and a guy who can pitch multiple innings when needed. He has been very good in ST and to send him to AAA just because he has options would be foolish.

The O's are in an enviable position: they have more competent relievers than they have spots. Todd Williams is one of those. He wasn't very good last year, but he's decent as a 6th-inning guy. I'd love to find a way to trade him and some marginally competent position player for a slightly more solid position player. That would balance the team nicely.

Parrish is a no-brainer to me. He fills 2 needs: a 2nd lefty reliever and a guy who can pitch multiple innings when needed. He has been very good in ST and to send him to AAA just because he has options would be foolish.

The O's are in an enviable position: they have more competent relievers than they have spots. Todd Williams is one of those. He wasn't very good last year, but he's decent as a 6th-inning guy. I'd love to find a way to trade him and some marginally competent position player for a slightly more solid position player. That would balance the team nicely.

Parrish would also be my third choice to close.

Archived