Melewski: Ben Rowen, acquired in Webb trade, opts out

mdbdotcom

I think the issue here is they are saying they traded Webb and the pick to get guys they liked. But they let one leave when all he needed was to be added to the to 40 man. There are three to four easy moves they could have done to add him to the 40 man.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I really don't care if Dan liked the guys or not I am strongly opposed to selling draft picks. This just brought light to the spin.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the issue here is they are saying they traded Webb and the pick to get guys they liked. But they let one leave when all he needed was to be added to the to 40 man. There are three to four easy moves they could have done to add him to the 40 man.

IMO you are putting too much emphasis on Rowen. The main reason for the trade was to get 2.6m back. Dan does try to get a minor league back in these deals but the are long shots with out much value in more cases.

The O's player development evaluated Rowen add didn't think he had enough potential to help the major league club as other players on the for man roster. That is what Dan and his staff are paid to do - make judgements on players and keep the best.

There was money for Miller last year.

I think Dan has been telling us that there is money available all season right?

I term on salary Miller cost the O's 634K for the last two month of the season. That is one third on his 1,903,125 salary. Did the O's have that kind of money to spend last year? Sure.

The big cost of acquiring Miller was ERod.

I think Dan has about 5m to spend for the rest of the season on player acquisition. if he has a 120m payroll.

I really don't care if Dan liked the guys or not I am strongly opposed to selling draft picks. This just brought light to the spin.

I hear you. I think this was MacPhail's way of building. Value draft choices highly. Dan uses so many ways to acquire players and he has built a scouting system that seems to be really good at evaluate talent. He trusts those scouts. He uses the draft, international draft, waiver wire, Rule 5 draft, trades, FAs. He takes chances and not all of them work out. He picked up Chris Perez for nothing.

I don't think Dan values draft choices the way we traditionally think of them. And it seems to work. The proof is in the three winning seasons, being in the race now, Norfolk and Bowie being at the top of their divisions. He seem to value older minor leaguers more than other GMs.

So trading a competitive balance pick is just another tool to Dan IMO.

It's very real. Dan sold the Dodgers the comp pick. Really no other way to spin it.

Will be hilarious if he rejoins the Dodgers.

This whole episode frustrates me more than anything the organization has done in recent memory. I'm sure they will contend the money will be or has been used elsewhere but if the financial viability of the franchise is dependent upon selling a relatively high draft pick, I fear there will be many more disappointments in the future.

IMO you are putting too much emphasis on Rowen. The main reason for the trade was to get 2.6m back. Dan does try to get a minor league back in these deals but the are long shots with out much value in more cases.

The O's player development evaluated Rowen add didn't think he had enough potential to help the major league club as other players on the for man roster. That is what Dan and his staff are paid to do - make judgements on players and keep the best.

Yeah it was obvious that saving money was key. That was the biggest reason to make the deal. Don't see why DD is lying about it by trying to act like the players were important. And then say that you don't have 40 man space for a guy like Rowen.

Yeah it was obvious that saving money was key. That was the biggest reason to make the deal. Don't see why DD is lying about it by trying to act like the players were important. And then say that you don't have 40 man space for a guy like Rowen.

Did Dan really say anything about Ben Rowen opting out? I haven't read it. Here is what I read from Melewski:

Right-hander Ben Rowen, who was acquired by the Orioles in a trade that sent pitcher Ryan Webb to the Los Angeles Dodgers on April 9, has opted out of his O's contract. Rowen had a clause where he could opt out if not put on the Orioles' 40-man roster by July 1. While the O's clearly liked him, they were not prepared to add him to the 40-man just yet.

That doesn't say the O's didn't have room on the 40 man. It basically implies that they liked the players they had on the 40 better than Rowen. That is showing baseball jidgement. I am fine with that.

Maybe there is more from Dan that I have not read.

At some point you need more then 1 win guys at AAA.

Yep, people keep talking about Dan's ability to find these AAAA type players and get production out of them. I'm not sure that that is a skill that one can continuously repeat on a long time line, at least not for so many positions. But even if it is, at best that talent has to supplement the cost-controlled, high end talent on the major league roster. And the latter is dwindling away, and selling off draft picks or trading them for Bud Norris is not how you re-stock it.

Did Dan really say anything about Ben Rowen opting out? I haven't read it. Here is what I read from Melewski:

That doesn't say the O's didn't have room on the 40 man. It basically implies that they liked the players they had on the 40 better than Rowen. That is showing baseball jidgement. I am fine with that.

Maybe there is more from Dan that I have not read.

Wow really picking for the fine details. What does DD not commenting on it have to do with anything? This is the one time you don't make wild assumptions?

Archived