Is it too early to call the J.J. Hardy extension a mistake?

TINSTAAPP

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Hardy has 179 PA's.  If he gets to 600 PA's this year his option for next year at $14 million kicks in.  He's played in 47/50 games.  Right now he's on pace for about 580 PA's.  

Buck should give him a rest every 7-10 days so this doesn't get uncomfortable down the stretch.  

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hardy has 179 PA's.  If he gets to 600 PA's this year his option for next year at $14 million kicks in.  He's played in 47/50 games.  Right now he's on pace for about 580 PA's.  

Buck should give him a rest every 7-10 days so this doesn't get uncomfortable down the stretch.  

Which is exactly what he's been doing.   

• 3 months later...
1 minute ago, Ohfan67 said:

$40,000,000 for less than two WAR. I think now we can definitely say the contract didn't work out for the O's. 

Yeah, it's hard to disagree, until he gets the game-winning hit in Game 162 that sends us into the wild card.   In terms of the range of possible outcomes when we signed him, this has to be very close to the bottom.    

Just now, Frobby said:

Yeah, it's hard to disagree, until he gets the game-winning hit in Game 162 that sends us into the wild card.   In terms of the range of possible outcomes when we signed him, this has to be very close to the bottom.    

Yeah. I knew it was an overpay, but I thought the Orioles would get 7 or 8 WAR out of the contract. 

6 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Yeah. I knew it was an overpay, but I thought the Orioles would get 7 or 8 WAR out of the contract. 

That wouldn't have been an overpay.     It would have been worth the money.    I sort of figured the worst we'd do is 4-5 WAR, and we'd get 7-8 if things went well.     Oh well, it's about to be over.    On to the next debacle.   

Archived