Is it too early to call the J.J. Hardy extension a mistake?

TINSTAAPP

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No, it means that the O's are committed to exercise the option.  

We could get Todd Frazier for $14 million a year instead of Hardy. Trevor Plouffe is also a FA. I think we should just roll with a cheap option and use the saved money to lock up Manny. 

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/24/2017 at 11:41 AM, Frobby said:

The threshold for his option to become vested is 600 PA, not 650.     As discussed earlier in this thread, it's still almost impossible for Hardy to reach 600 PA so long as he's batting at the bottom of the order.    Buck's already rested him once, and hopefully he'll sit Hardy twice a month or so.    That easily would keep him short of 600 PA.     He'd probably need to play 158 games to reach that number.   

Hardy is sitting out his second game of the year tonight.    Buck's clearly got a different approach with him this year.    

33 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

It will be interesting to see what the Orioles plan on doing for SS next year. i guess alot depends on if they still see Hardy as an everyday player . 

He would be a cheap option. I'm sure they could get him on 1/5 deal which would still be an overpay. I doubt anyone in baseball would look at him as an every day SS. If he could play 2B/3B he might be a nice utility guy to replace Flaherty. And then the O's sign a SS/3B depending on what is available to team with Manny. Still think Schoop should be considered for 3B as well

It's really a SSS but I see that Hardy has a -18.1 UZR/150 so far this year. Tha'ts pretty terrible to go with his .500 OPS.
I think this will be his last year in a ML uniform unless the O's do something stupid, which Buck and Dan will as they love veteranocity

Just now, webbrick2010 said:

It's really a SSS but I see that Hardy has a -18.1 UZR/150 so far this year. Tha'ts pretty terrible to go with his .500 OPS.
I think this will be his last year in a ML uniform unless the O's do something stupid, which Buck and Dan will as they love veteranocity

If he is hired on as a coach he would still wear the uniform right?

10 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

It's too small a sample to mean anything.     It means he's 2-3 plays below average in the first 20 games.    He could make that up in a good week.    Mind you, I'm not saying he will -- the jury's out. But it's no more meaningful than Manny hovering at the Mendoza line right now, statistically speaking.    I've definitely got my eyes on him.   

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It's too small a sample to mean anything.     It means he's 2-3 plays below average in the first 20 games.    He could make that up in a good week.    Mind you, I'm not saying he will -- the jury's out. But it's no more meaningful than Manny hovering at the Mendoza line right now, statistically speaking.    I've definitely got my eyes on him.   

I can't agree with that.

I might agree with it if you replaced Trumbo with Machado.

12 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Basically you have to decide if you intend to pay Manny to sign long term. If you, you plug him at SS and find a decent, cheap 3B. If not, then you pay a top SS or 3B and see Manny leave the next year.

Or move Schoop to third and find a second baseman.

3 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Didn't they try Schoop at third one spring training and early in the season before and he was bad defensively? Was it the first year Manny was out?

Sure did and he sure was.

It was also a really small sample size.

He certainly has the arm for it and with how his range has been he might be better suited to third at this point.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or move Schoop to third and find a second baseman.

Unless there's some question about Schoop's range, I don't know why the O's would do that when Schoop is so good at turning the double play.  

Archived