Is it too early to call the J.J. Hardy extension a mistake?

TINSTAAPP

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I too hope he resigns.

I love JJ, but the smart move IMO is to put Manny at shortstop when Hardy leaves after 2017. I don't think Hardy is going to age well at all. We've been lucky this year.

I would rather spend 250-300 million on Manny for 10 years than 15-30 million on Hardy for 2.

The Hardy deal is looking just fine, IMO. The thing with JJ, and it's always been the thing, is his health. When he's right, he's an outstanding defender who steadies the entire infield defense, and who's bat can help you. Is he a 30HR guy at this point, of course not. But I'll take the offensive production all day long. When he's right health-wise, he's an asset to this team. They can evaluate things after '17, but they've got plenty of time for that.

Ideally, I would want a 25 year old Ripken Jr at my SS position.

Since that is an impossibility, then the next best option for this team, is JJ Hardy.

Even an older Hardy that isn't as good as he used to be, is still good enough to get the job done, and at a better level, than some of the replacements this team has had since Ripken.

I love JJ, but the smart move IMO is to put Manny at shortstop when Hardy leaves after 2017. I don't think Hardy is going to age well at all. We've been lucky this year.

I would rather spend 250-300 million on Manny for 10 years than 15-30 million on Hardy for 2.

I don't disagree, but then then what do you do for 3B? We need to have a plan for one position or the other (preferably both, because Manny will be leaving soon). If we had a mashing 3B prospect I would say go ahead and move Manny to SS. But we don't, so I don't know what the solution is. I would not have any predetermined plan at this point unless we have an alternative at one position or the other. I agree, once JJ is done I would be looking for someone younger whether it is 3B or SS.

I don't disagree, but then then what do you do for 3B? We need to have a plan for one position or the other (preferably both, because Manny will be leaving soon). If we had a mashing 3B prospect I would say go ahead and move Manny to SS. But we don't, so I don't know what the solution is. I would not have any predetermined plan at this point unless we have an alternative at one position or the other. I agree, once JJ is done I would be looking for someone younger whether it is 3B or SS.

Maybe the future will see Hardy swapping SS for 3rd with Manny?

Maybe the future will see Hardy swapping SS for 3rd with Manny?

Schoop also has the arm strength for 3B. Not sure about glove or accuracy. I don't know, I just don't trust JJ's health. Maybe go year to year and keep him at SS as long as he is healthy. Ideally we would have a good defensive SS or mashing 3B in the system.

Schoop also has the arm strength for 3B. Not sure about glove or accuracy. I don't know, I just don't trust JJ's health. Maybe go year to year and keep him at SS as long as he is healthy. Ideally we would have a good defensive SS or mashing 3B in the system.

My memory banks thinks, I remember Schoop not faring too well at third, in limited appearances.

Buck has said, its not always easy for right side of the diamond infielders to move to left, but left sided infielders typically can move to the right side, without issue.

But, if Schoop plays well at 3rd, and Hardy can handle 2nd, then I am all for it.

IMO, I think School glove work for DPs is well above average and one of the best in the league.

My memory banks thinks, I remember Schoop not faring too well at third, in limited appearances.

Buck has said, its not always easy for right side of the diamond infielders to move to left, but left sided infielders typically can move to the right side, without issue.

But, if Schoop plays well at 3rd, and Hardy can handle 2nd, then I am all for it.

IMO, I think School glove work for DPs is well above average and one of the best in the league.

Yes, and he is as good as anyone I have ever seen making the quick catch and tag on base stealers. I thought they had the guy last night but Buck elected not to challenge.

Nothing is set in stone of course, but in theory, it's easier to find a quality 3B than it is a SS. Manny has shown that he can be a shortstop.

It's too early to tell what will be available to us in 2018, though IMO. Maybe Reyes actually shows he is a legit prospect. Maybe we draft a fast moving college 3B. Maybe we make a Hardy-esque trade for a 3B.

And all of this also hinges on us being able to sign Manny long term. If we can't sign his long term this off season, then all bets are off and we may have to trade him at the deadline next year if we aren't in contention.

FWIW, Hardy is currently 4th in MLB in UZR/150, behind Simmons, Crawford and Lindor. In total UZR he ranks 8th, due to the fact that he missed some time at the beginning of the year. So, by that metric, he is still elite defensively. BB-ref has him at +14 Rtot, +21 Rtot/yr. Also elite.

Putting aside his own numbers, he works very well with Schoop and Manny and everything seems to work like clockwork when he's out there. I believe that our elite infield defense is probably the biggest reason why we have been contenders the last several years.

FWIW, Hardy is currently 4th in MLB in UZR/150, behind Simmons, Crawford and Lindor. In total UZR he ranks 8th, due to the fact that he missed some time at the beginning of the year. So, by that metric, he is still elite defensively. BB-ref has him at +14 Rtot, +21 Rtot/yr. Also elite.

Putting aside his own numbers, he works very well with Schoop and Manny and everything seems to work like clockwork when he's out there. I believe that our elite infield defense is probably the biggest reason why we have been contenders the last several years.

:agree:

Archived