Is it too early to call the J.J. Hardy extension a mistake?

TINSTAAPP

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

And if you're so convinced he has value, why were the O's able to get him for virtually nothing?

Same reason Angels got Bridwell for nothing.  A mistake in organizational judgement.  And since you are so convinced the Orioles have many pitchers of outstanding quality up and down their system and are such stellar judges of pitching talent, they can just toss him aside for no reason other than one more month of a guy like Ubaldo. 

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

Same reason Angels got Bridwell for nothing.  A mistake in organizational judgement.  And since you are so convinced the Orioles have many pitchers of outstanding quality up and down their system and are such stellar judges of pitching talent, they can just toss him aside for no reason other than one more month of a guy like Ubaldo. 

Faulkner is probably worth nothing; however, the chance that he could help the 2018 team is probably greater than the chance that JJ Hardy will help the 2017 team make the playoffs.   

So why was Faulkner DFA'd for Hardy?     Because it's one of those things you have to do, out of loyalty and team morale.    Hardy's been a big contributor here for many years, and a good teammate.    If he's healthy enough to play, you don't pretend that he isn't and leave him on the DL.    He'd probably have a labor grievance if we did that, and they're certainly not going to cut him.    

If loyalty didn't matter, maybe they'd cut him.   But it does matter.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Faulkner is probably worth nothing; however, the chance that he could help the 2018 team is probably greater than the chance that JJ Hardy will help the 2017 team make the playoffs.   

So why was Faulkner DFA'd for Hardy?     Because it's one of those things you have to do, out of loyalty and team morale.    Hardy's been a big contributor here for many years, and a good teammate.    If he's healthy enough to play, you don't pretend that he isn't and leave him on the DL.    He'd probably have a labor grievance if we did that, and they're certainly not going to cut him.    

I agree with this 100%.  But given that this was going to happen, I am still more than a little surprised by Austin Hays being up...especially if they do not intend to put him in RF everyday and see what happens.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He is probably nothing though we thought enough to want to send him to the AFL.  But does another month of Ubaldo matter even one iota more than the remotest possibilty of this guy being something ?  or another month of Pedro just sitting on the bench?  Or another month of an injured Tillman...why not just put him on the DL where he belongs?    Probably right, it will likely be much ado about nothing, but I just have a nerve that gets irritated when young lefthanded pitching is dismissed out of our system when other roster choices are possible or available.    And certainly would not have dismissed Hardy..I agree 100 percent about that. 

9 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I agree with this 100%.  But given that this was going to happen, I am still more than a little surprised by Austin Hays being up...especially if they do not intend to put him in RF everyday and see what happens.

I'm a little surprised they didn't wait until a game when they expected him to start, but I think they believe he'll help vs. LHP and give us more flexibility with Gentry out.    I'm fine having him on the roster for those purposes.  

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

He is probably nothing though we thought enough to want to send him to the AFL.  But does another month of Ubaldo matter even one iota more than the remotest possibilty of this guy being something ?  or another month of Pedro just sitting on the bench?  Or another month of an injured Tillman...why not just put him on the DL where he belongs?    Probably right, it will likely be much ado about nothing, but I just have a nerve that gets irritated when young lefthanded pitching is dismissed out of our system when other roster choices are possible or available.    And certainly would not have dismissed Hardy..I agree 100 percent about that. 

I'm not sure sending pitchers to the AFL means all that much.  From what I understand it is a lot harder for teams to fill out the pitching half of the rosters.  I think some of the pitchers sent are more bodies than prospects.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not sure sending pitchers to the AFL means all that much.  From what I understand it is a lot harder for teams to fill out the pitching half of the rosters.  I think some of the pitchers sent are more bodies than prospects.

Ok, ok...I will yield to the consensus that he is a nobody who could never help us or anybody else...lol.  Probably my own gunshy issues of just not trusting the organization's ace judgement of pitching talent.   But in a year or so we shall see, of course, whether they were correct. 

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Ok, ok...I will yield to the consensus that he is a nobody who could never help us or anybody else...lol.  Probably my own gunshy issues of just not trusting the organization's ace judgement of pitching talent.   But in a year or so we shall see, of course, whether they were correct. 

For the record I don't know if he is anything or not.  I just wouldn't take a pitcher getting sent to the AFL as evidence that he is something.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

For the record I don't know if he is anything or not.  I just wouldn't take a pitcher getting sent to the AFL as evidence that he is something.

I believe that a lot of the pitchers sent to the AFL are sent to accumulate a few more innings that they did not get during the regular season at the affiliate they were assigned to.  Some are sent as part of an injury rehab type thing to make sure they have overcome a frailty.  Still others are sent because the AFL does need to have someone on the mound for the games that are played.

I will agree with TNT that any able bodied Lefty should not be cast aside especially for washed up righthanders such as Ubaldo Jimenez.

2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

What the...?

Archived