Is it too early to call the J.J. Hardy extension a mistake?

TINSTAAPP

Just now, Frobby said:

That wouldn't have been an overpay.     It would have been worth the money.    I sort of figured the worst we'd do is 4-5 WAR, and we'd get 7-8 if things went well.     Oh well, it's about to be over.    On to the next debacle.   

Yeah, after I submitted that post I started thinking at 7 or 8 WAR would have covered 40 million. WAR are expensive. That said, I really, really enjoyed watching JJ play for the Orioles. The contract was a bust, but he was a refreshing addition when the Orioles acquired him. 

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ohfan67 said:

Yeah, after I submitted that post I started thinking at 7 or 8 WAR would have covered 40 million. WAR are expensive. That said, I really, really enjoyed watching JJ play for the Orioles. The contract was a bust, but he was a refreshing addition when the Orioles acquired him. 

Me too.    He was a great Oriole and played an important role on all three of our playoff teams.    I think Schoop and Manny learned a lot from playing with JJ, too.

Can someone explain to me why we would designate Andrew Faulkner, left-handed pitcher, for one month of an end of the line JJ Hardy?    I know that he may well clear waivers, but I would not be surprised that some team out there claims him given that left handed pitching is not the easiest thing to come by.    And we planned for him to be in the AFL, so I am just very confused by this move and maybe someone can help me better understand the process. 

8 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Can someone explain to me why we would designate Andrew Faulkner, left-handed pitcher, for one month of an end of the line JJ Hardy?    I know that he may well clear waivers, but I would not be surprised that some team out there claims him given that left handed pitching is not the easiest thing to come by.    And we planned for him to be in the AFL, so I am just very confused by this move and maybe someone can help me better understand the process. 

My assumption is they think they can sign a lefty of similar talent this offseason. They knew that Hardy was coming back. Once they decided to add Hays they had to know Faulkner was the cost. If they loved him that much he would still be here. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

My assumption is they think they can sign a lefty of similar talent this offseason. They knew that Hardy was coming back. Once they decided to add Hays they had to know Faulkner was the cost. If they loved him that much he would still be here. 

I hope that maybe they have some inside baseball arrangement with other GMs that let him slide through and be reassigned to our minor league system.   If he can chew gum and walk at the same time, it is hard to see how you don't cut any one of several others from the 40 man that are going to either not be here or are not in any kind of plan at all.  

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

Yeah, if being left-handed was the only requirement to pitch in the bigs, my sister would be pitching.  What's good about Faulkner other than him being left-handed?

Faulkner, 24, was 3-0 with a 2.79 ERA in 34 games with Triple-A Norfolk. He allowed only one home run in 38 2/3 innings and opponents were batting .216. Left-handers posted a .208 average.

We have lots of these in our system currently do we?  

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I hope that maybe they have some inside baseball arrangement with other GMs that let him slide through and be reassigned to our minor league system.   If he can chew gum and walk at the same time, it is hard to see how you don't cut any one of several others from the 40 man that are going to either not be here or are not in any kind of plan at all.  

What you described is very possible. That they want to keep him, not that they have arrangements with other teams.  

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

This is actually the second 3-year extension that the Orioles signed Hardy to. 

The first was a steal, the second was a bust.

Not bad overall, not great overall.

o

In the end, I will remember him fondly as an Oriole, and I think the nation will most often remember him as an Oriole too.

25 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Faulkner, 24, was 3-0 with a 2.79 ERA in 34 games with Triple-A Norfolk. He allowed only one home run in 38 2/3 innings and opponents were batting .216. Left-handers posted a .208 average.

We have lots of these in our system currently do we?  

You accidentally left off the fact that he walked 24 batters in 38 innings - giving him a... less than sparkling 1.40 WHIP in the light-hitting IL.  That might be why the O's got him for essentially nothing.  

As the proverbial saying goes, shake a AAA tree and a dozen Faulkner's fall off.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Me too.    He was a great Oriole and played an important role on all three of our playoff teams.    I think Schoop and Manny learned a lot from playing with JJ, too.

Maybe so. Hope JJ can help Beckham. Wish JJ could be a coach for the O's 2018. 

10 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

You accidentally left off the fact that he walked 24 batters in 38 innings - giving him a... less than sparkling 1.40 WHIP in the light-hitting IL.  That might be why the O's got him for essentially nothing.  

As the proverbial saying goes, shake a AAA tree and a dozen Faulkner's fall off.  

That same comment was made by someone on this board when Parker Bridwell was released...i.e.  there being many of those guys in the AAA universe out there.  And why send Faulkner to the AFL if he is as you say...an absolute nothing burger?    I hope that this is just an inside arrangement with other clubs where he clears waivers and is returned to our system.   If not, then when he is pitching for  "fill in the blank" team in the next year or two, we shall revisit this particular discussion and wonder exactly why we kept the wonders of Ubaldo for yet one more agonizing month.   We shall see. 

14 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

That same comment was made by someone on this board when Parker Bridwell was released...i.e.  there being many of those guys in the AAA universe out there.  And why send Faulkner to the AFL if he is as you say...an absolute nothing burger?    I hope that this is just an inside arrangement with other clubs where he clears waivers and is returned to our system.   If not, then when he is pitching for  "fill in the blank" team in the next year or two, we shall revisit this particular discussion and wonder exactly why we kept the wonders of Ubaldo for yet one more agonizing month.   We shall see. 

You still haven't given a valid reason why the O's should keep him.  A 1.40 WHIP in the IL stinks for a reliever.  

Archived