Is it too early to call the J.J. Hardy extension a mistake?

TINSTAAPP

Yes, it is still too soon to say. Another season just like this one and his contract will have been worth it (but we'd still need to see if his option gets exercised and whether it's worth it. Another season like 2015 and his contract will not have been worth it. But it certainly was premature to judge it last year.

I had forgotten all about the option, which is listed as a vesting option. Does anyone know the details? The only information I can find says that it will be guaranteed in 2018 if he reaches a "certain number of plate appearances". Is it an overall number or just 2017 PAs?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had forgotten all about the option, which is listed as a vesting option. Does anyone know the details? The only information I can find says that it will be guaranteed in 2018 if he reaches a "certain number of plate appearances". Is it an overall number or just 2017 PAs?

2018 Option Vests:

600 PA in 2017

1,150 PA over 2016-17

I don't think so either, just pointing out that Buck won't get in the way of the option vesting.

Almost no chance it vests even if he's healthy. Looking at his PA/game the last two years, he'd have to play 158 games to reach 600 PA. That's not going to happen. Frankly, if Hardy plays 150+ games we'll probably exercise his option in any event.

600 PA's is almost impossible for Hardy because of where he hits in the lineup. Even if Hardy somehow plays 155 games he may not get 600 PA's. I do think he had a great season this year.

I was curious whether this was true or not, so I tried to find out. Found one blog post about it here that says that the #9 spot in 2009 averaged about 620 PAs over the course of the season. I didn't check the research myself but that sounds plausible. So it's possible for someone at the bottom of the lineup to get over 600 PAs, but they'd have to play almost every game.

Archived