Is it too early to call the J.J. Hardy extension a mistake?

TINSTAAPP

FWIW, Hardy is currently 4th in MLB in UZR/150, behind Simmons, Crawford and Lindor. In total UZR he ranks 8th, due to the fact that he missed some time at the beginning of the year. So, by that metric, he is still elite defensively. BB-ref has him at +14 Rtot, +21 Rtot/yr. Also elite.

Putting aside his own numbers, he works very well with Schoop and Manny and everything seems to work like clockwork when he's out there. I believe that our elite infield defense is probably the biggest reason why we have been contenders the last several years.

This. "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Frobby again."

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW, Hardy is currently 4th in MLB in UZR/150, behind Simmons, Crawford and Lindor. In total UZR he ranks 8th, due to the fact that he missed some time at the beginning of the year. So, by that metric, he is still elite defensively. BB-ref has him at +14 Rtot, +21 Rtot/yr. Also elite.

Putting aside his own numbers, he works very well with Schoop and Manny and everything seems to work like clockwork when he's out there. I believe that our elite infield defense is probably the biggest reason why we have been contenders the last several years.

This is what I was alluding to in my post last night:

o

As the 2016 season is winding down, I believe that Hardy's contract is looking better now than it was one year ago.

I feel like he has been a stabilizing force this season (particularly on defense), and that even though the Orioles went 24-18 in his absence, I believe that he was missed when he went down with a broken foot earlier this season.

Last season was a dreary one, both for Hardy as an individual, and for the Orioles as a team.

As the 2016 season winds down, things are looking much brighter ........ both for Hardy individually, and for the Orioles as a team.

There is something about having Hardy out there (along with Chirs Davis, Manny Machado, and Jonathan Schoop) that may not be able to be measured by statistics, or even by wins and losses over the chunk of this season that he missed due to injury ........ that make him very valuable to the team and very important to be out there, in my rat's ass of an opinion.

• 1 month later...
OFFNY said:

As the 2016 season is winding down, I believe that Hardy's contract is looking better now than it was one year ago.

I feel like he has been a stabilizing force this season (particularly on defense), and that even though the Orioles went 24-18 in his absence, I believe that he was missed when he went down with a broken foot earlier this season.

Last season was a dreary one, both for Hardy as an individual, and for the Orioles as a team.

As the 2016 season winds down, things are looking much brighter ........ both for Hardy individually, and for the Orioles as a team.

o

o

Hardy had a solid season this year, albeit while missing some time with a broken foot.

His previous 3-year extension was a steal.

The current extension looks OK.

o

This is what I was alluding to in my post last night:

There is something about having Hardy out there (along with Chirs Davis, Manny Machado, and Jonathan Schoop) that may not be able to be measured by statistics, or even by wins and losses over the chunk of this season that he missed due to injury ........ that make him very valuable to the team and very important to be out there, in my rat's ass of an opinion.

I feel.like Machado and Schoop are big boys now with some years of Hardy tutelage under their belt, time to do it without Hardy.

I feel.like Machado and Schoop are big boys now with some years of Hardy tutelage under their belt, time to do it without Hardy.

J.J. Hardy has it written into his contract that if he is trade the Option Year is automatically activated. This is a sticking point for a club looking at a one year rental.

J.J. Hardy is also a Ten/Five player which clouds any trade possibilities.

Hardy's not going anywhere. I agree that Manny and Schoop are big boys with plenty of big league experience by now, and they don't need Hardy in order to play well. Still, with Hardy at SS and Manny at 3B we have the best defensive left side of the infield in baseball. That and our bullpen are the two most outstanding features of the Orioles. So long as Hardy continues to hit decently, he stays. I'm just hoping he can play 140-150 games next year instead of 120.

Hardy's not going anywhere. I agree that Manny and Schoop are big boys with plenty of big league experience by now, and they don't need Hardy in order to play well. Still, with Hardy at SS and Manny at 3B we have the best defensive left side of the infield in baseball. That and our bullpen are the two most outstanding features of the Orioles. So long as Hardy continues to hit decently, he stays. I'm just hoping he can play 140-150 games next year instead of 120.

.260/.309/.407 - you get a .716 OPS out of him the next two seasons and he actually plays 140-150 games? Contract well worth it.

Hardy's not going anywhere.I agree that Manny and Schoop are big boys with plenty of big league experience by now, and they don't need Hardy in order to play well. Still, with Hardy at SS and Manny at 3B, we have the best defensive left side of the infield in baseball. That and our bullpen are the two most outstanding features of the Orioles. So long as Hardy continues to hit decently, he stays. I'm just hoping he can play 140-150 games next year, instead of 120.

.260/.309/.407 - you get a .716 OPS out of him the next two seasons and he actually plays 140-150 games?

Contract well worth it.

o

Which is why I believe that the OP's question has been answered ...... yes, it was premature to judge his extension as a bad one in July of 2015. And with 2 years still left on his extension, it still may be premature to judge it, one way or the other.

o

Which is why I believe that the OP's question has been answered ...... yes, it was premature to judge his extension as a bad one in July of 2015. And with 2 years still left on his extension, it still may be premature to judge it, one way or the other.

Yes, it is still too soon to say. Another season just like this one and his contract will have been worth it (but we'd still need to see if his option gets exercised and whether it's worth it. Another season like 2015 and his contract will not have been worth it. But it certainly was premature to judge it last year.

Archived