Getting Ready To Raise the White Flag

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And in losing them we net picks AND we get all that financial freedom. I don't know offhand what Chen, Davis and Wieters are making combined this year but it's a good chunk of change. To spend next offseason.

You're right there. We certainly will free up a lot of money, but that's no guarantee for success either. Will the right players be available? Will we be outbid for them? Does it free up enough money to get 3 quality replacements for the long-haul, or do we go dumpster diving again?

The supplemental picks aren't exactly a given either. Over the past decade we have had two first round supplemental picks - Garrett Olson and Pedro Beato. Let's extrapolate that a little further and make it 20 years - Ndungidi, Mamon Tucker, Cenate, Rice, Brian Roberts, Tripper Johnson and Bryan Bass. So, we're 1 out of 9 in the past 20 years. I'd rather try to trade for prospects that have already been drafted, played minor league ball with success and have a decent chance of MLB success.

I'm just hoping we didn't peak last year. Could that have been the height of excitement around here for a while?

Maybe. But Dan Duquette isn't Andy MacPhail and Buck Showalter isn't Dave Trembley, so I expect considerably less patience with the notion of being noncompetitive for any significant length of time.

If we really are buyers, this stuff needs to happen like today. If the losing continues while we sit around looking for a bargain deal, that would upset me a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This I agree with. If the team is/was looking to be buyers, the sooner the better. The deficiencies in this team have been pretty evident for a while now, why not make a preemptive strike before this tailspin of the past few weeks? I understand it takes two to tango, but DD should have not waited to the last minute, cause now it seems like it might be too little too late. DD waiting to the last minute... go figure

I'm not sure what would be so dicey about Chen's value. I think he easily nets a B and C prospect, maybe two B's. 2.86 ERA in a hitter's park and he's left handed. Davis has 21 bombs and versatility 1B/OF.

I agree that Wieters has very little value at this point. So those are the two guys I would look to move (Chen and Davis). Also O'Day.

Agreed that Chen would bring back the best return.

I think O'Day might make the most sense to trade. We're not offering him a QO. He should have a lot of value to teams. If we want him back and he wants to come back we can get him back a la Bordick. We have a number of side-armers in the minor who we could plug in in the meantime, including Mychal Givens, so he (and Wieters) are the most replaceable.

Archived