Getting Ready To Raise the White Flag

Bahama O's Fan

Exactly. We'll be better off (most likely) taking the picks that will come with Davis and Chen's departures in the offseason than what we would land for them now. But sacrificing too much of our farm system to "put the club over the top" is looking less and less prudent. We have fallen to 6 games back now for the division and 4 for the Wild Card. Not insurmountable. But the Os aren't exactly on fire of late. 5-13 in the last 18 games.

Outside of a steal of a deal, we should stand pat IMO. And IMO, that's what we will do, outside of a relatively inconsequential deal or two.

I'm not being critical, so please take this post simply as a question. I keep seeing people advocate not selling and taking the draft picks for the QO. What have the Orioles shown in the past 15-20 years to make anyone think that a first round draft pick would do any good for the future of this team? We have had an occasional breakout like Manny, Wieters, and Markakis to a point, but otherwise our system has not produced much top tier talent over the past two decades. I think I'd take my chances with OTHER teams' prospects over 2016 draft picks.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not being critical, so please take this post simply as a question. I keep seeing people advocate not selling and taking the draft picks for the QO. What have the Orioles shown in the past 15-20 years to make anyone think that a first round draft pick would do any good for the future of this team? We have had an occasional breakout like Manny, Wieters, and Markakis to a point, but otherwise our system has not produced much top tier talent over the past two decades. I think I'd take my chances with OTHER teams' prospects over 2016 draft picks.

At least on my part, its very clear from listening to Buck, that in spite of what some of the fans believe is best, this team is trying to win this season and not sell off, to just get something back.

DD says this team is buyers. period.

So you can advocate selling all you want, its not going to happen. Again, just my opinion.

By the logic of this thread there are at least 10 AL teams that need to be sellers.

Not necessarily true.

We are in the position that we are at the end of a free agent window. Everyone here knows that we are going to lose several of our key players this offseason. It's a twofold debate, are we good enough to make the playoffs and will we get enough in return for our FAs to justifify not holding on to them and making the QOs.

It's hard to say. The Os don't exactly have much history with late 1st round picks. I'll admit this history is pedestrian. But I don't think you can draw much conclusion based on the sample size, especially with the current regime.

That said, I'm open to the idea of trading now. I just don't think we'll get much on the trade market for Davis, unlikely we'd get much for Wieters, and even Chen would be dicey. But if we can get someone else's B or B+ type prospect with a C prospect bundled in, it might be worth it.

o

I am hereby planting an Oriole flag in this thread:

Baltimore_Orioles_bird_1396316011716_3925574_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Thank you.

Too many posters have been drinking the Kool-Aid for sure.

Unless you were referring to the Jim Jones suicide Kool-Aid from November of 1978, I think that you misunderstood my intentions.

I planted the Oriole flag in this thread because I am not giving up.

It's hard to say. The Os don't exactly have much history with late 1st round picks. I'll admit this history is pedestrian. But I don't think you can draw much conclusion based on the sample size, especially with the current regime.

That said, I'm open to the idea of trading now. I just don't think we'll get much on the trade market for Davis, unlikely we'd get much for Wieters, and even Chen would be dicey. But if we can get someone else's B or B+ type prospect with a C prospect bundled in, it might be worth it.

I'm not sure what would be so dicey about Chen's value. I think he easily nets a B and C prospect, maybe two B's. 2.86 ERA in a hitter's park and he's left handed. Davis has 21 bombs and versatility 1B/OF.

I agree that Wieters has very little value at this point. So those are the two guys I would look to move (Chen and Davis). Also O'Day.

No one would blast you for being upset. But when you make comments saying we're losing because we're not trying, that's what irritates people.

Also, if you truly feel the team is not trying, then why in the blue hell would you be upset when these same players walk in the offseason? (drops pipe bomb)

Oh great! :rolleyes: Now DHS is reading this thread.

This is definitely not last year where you had cruz, peace having a career year and three pitchers having career years. This is not three years ago where Davis was one of the most feared hitters in the game.

This team simply does not have what is needed to go deep into the playoffs. And I don't want to see the Orioles ship off a bunch of young players so they can try and win a one game wild card.

This is the ONLY argument I can agree with the sell sell sell crowd. To go deep you need PRIME starters and shut down relievers. We have the pen I think, certainly not the Ace(s)...

I'd still be happy as a clam to make the playoffs and take the chance. Do the little moves DD! Patch LF and whatever else you can.

Not necessarily true.

We are in the position that we are at the end of a free agent window. Everyone here knows that we are going to lose several of our key players this offseason. It's a twofold debate, are we good enough to make the playoffs and will we get enough in return for our FAs to justifify not holding on to them and making the QOs.

And in losing them we net picks AND we get all that financial freedom. I don't know offhand what Chen, Davis and Wieters are making combined this year but it's a good chunk of change. To spend next offseason.

Archived