Only 2 WJZ Broadcasts left...

FanSince88

What if a person doesn't want to pay for cable because they rarely watch TV except for Orioles games and occasional sporting events and when they try to pay for MLB.TV, they find out all games are blacked out in the local area. What do they do?

You would want to consider VPN in that case.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But it blacks out Orioles games for people who live in their terrirory, right? So I'd have to buy a VPN to spoof my IP address. Harumph, too much hassle. Plus MLB.com is so expensive that I may as well get cable added to my verizon package.

$130 or so for a full year of mlb.tv to watch every team, live or on demand, with choice of broadcasting team or radio announcers, on the laptop screen you want...that's so expensive? Sure, you need a reliable VPN, but come on. If the solution is right within your grasp and you still harumph it, then there's nothing anyone can say or do to help you because you've already made the choice to simply be obstinate about it.

Furthermore, MASN doesn't seem to have any plans to stream their broadcasts to cable subscribers like most other networks currently do. 90% of my TV watching is done on laptops. Who wants to sit on their reear and watch tv on a stationary screen anymore? If MASN refuses to join the 21st century and stream their broadcast to cable subscribers like HBO, USA, TNT, TBS, and most of the other cable networks, I don't see why I should give them a dime of my money.

With all due respect, this is your choice. But then don't bemoan the fact that you can't watch Orioles games. Every game is provided in crystal clear HD for anyone to see. If you choose not to pay for television service, that's your choice.

I personally hate when WJZ shows the Orioles games. Its typically a Sunday afternoon when I want to flip to golf between Orioles commercials, and instead I have the same Orioles game on two stations. Now THAT is ridiculous.

With all due respect, this is your choice. But then don't bemoan the fact that you can't watch Orioles games. Every game is provided in crystal clear HD for anyone to see. If you choose not to pay for television service, that's your choice.

I personally hate when WJZ shows the Orioles games. Its typically a Sunday afternoon when I want to flip to golf between Orioles commercials, and instead I have the same Orioles game on two stations. Now THAT is ridiculous.

I second this...there are many options for watching every Oriole game. That would be my ONE consideration when making viewing decisions since I watch only the Orioles, The Walking Dead, and the Big Bang Theory - as well as college basketball and the NFL.

I have a linky... to any game any sport any day. If any one wants it. :D

Some guy I know <cough, cough> has tried some of those linkys for Ravens games, since he is out of the viewing area. All of the linkys that he has found are really terrible quality. That guy <cough, cough> is considering DirecTV internet and VPN to get around the problem.

Really? This is 2015. Pay for cable or expect not to see the O's. The decision to not pay for cable should have included access to O's games...
Harsh, but the honest truth.
What if a person doesn't want to pay for cable because they rarely watch TV except for Orioles games and occasional sporting events and when they try to pay for MLB.TV, they find out all games are blacked out in the local area. What do they do?
Furthermore, MASN doesn't seem to have any plans to stream their broadcasts to cable subscribers like most other networks currently do. 90% of my TV watching is done on laptops. Who wants to sit on their reear and watch tv on a stationary screen anymore? If MASN refuses to join the 21st century and stream their broadcast to cable subscribers like HBO, USA, TNT, TBS, and most of the other cable networks, I don't see why I should give them a dime of my money.

Why would you think that MASN has any right to stream anything outside of the MLB Advanced Media Agreements? Feel free to bash anything you like but digital rights are something that will be enforced going forward. Part of being a citizen is working to pay for what you use. Including Orioles broadcasts.

I know we have a generation or two that has been used to media for free, but why would you think that would continue?

Why would you think that MASN has any right to stream anything outside of the MLB Advanced Media Agreements? Feel free to bash anything you like but digital rights are something that will be enforced going forward. Part of being a citizen is working to pay for what you use. Including Orioles broadcasts.

I know we have a generation or two that has been used to media for free, but why would you think that would continue?

I think that MLB has great digital media access to live games. Being an out-of-market fan, I am more than happy to pay for my MLB.tv subscription. My only complaint is that they black out games when Fox has their national broadcast.

Even though I hate those blackouts, I understand why they are there. Television contracts are a huge part of MLB's revenue. Those TV contracts would be significantly de-valued if you allowed unlimited internet access to the games. If there ever comes a point where MLB feels it can earn the same money from online subscriptions, then they will probably lift the blackouts.

Remember Super TV? You might be asking the same question about MASN one day if the blackouts get lifted. That means they are going to fight tooth and nail to keep those blackouts in place.

I hate the blackout.

I think that MLB has great digital media access to live games. Being an out-of-market fan, I am more than happy to pay for my MLB.tv subscription. My only complaint is that they black out games when Fox has their national broadcast.

Even though I hate those blackouts, I understand why they are there. Television contracts are a huge part of MLB's revenue. Those TV contracts would be significantly de-valued if you allowed unlimited internet access to the games. If there ever comes a point where MLB feels it can earn the same money from online subscriptions, then they will probably lift the blackouts.

Remember Super TV? You might be asking the same question about MASN one day if the blackouts get lifted. That means they are going to fight tooth and nail to keep those blackouts in place.

Oh, I do not defend any of that crap. I just know that MASN can't stream anything. At all. Even archives. They do not currently own those rights.

They keep their cable, that's what they do.

I hate the blackout.

Oh, I do not defend any of that crap. I just know that MASN can't stream anything. At all. Even archives. They do not currently own those rights.

Really? It's MLB's product. They control the distribution of their product. TV is where the money is ... take away TV's exclusivity and you take away that money. I don't like it either, but I totally understand it.

Businesses aren't in business to lose money.

MLB.TV is so far ahead of other sports broadcast approaches, its silly.

Where I live, I can also only listen to Nottingham Forest games on the radio, if I can't go to the game - and then it has to be on FM, as the digital streams are blacked-out (not just in this area, but across the country). Unless the game is live on national TV, there is no play-again, on demand option. I can watch highlights on the highlights show on a Saturday night on TV, or via the clubs website. But that re-cap is about the limit.

So here I am....3,500 miles away from Bmore, and I watch MLB.TV Premium on the Roku, which I have on every TV in the house. Should I want to watch on a laptop or tablet, I also get the other 'At Bat' stuff, live graphical stats, lineups, look-ins. And thats for every MLB team LIVE.

I can also play-again on-demand and re-watch any game played, with either home or away video/radio streams. The other day I hit a button on the remote by accident and realised that this function stretches back to the start of the 2013 season!

In addition to all that, I can watch (on laptop or tablet) minor league games via the MiLB.TV app.

I know it sucks if you live locally and are subject to a black-out, but the quality of the coverage is SO good that if I lived in Maryland the first thing I would be doing is sorting out the VPN situation.

Finally, I understand the principles behind it, but is there any concrete evidence that having games available on live TV has a significant impact on game attendance? Just curious

Archived