Tommy Hunter to Cubs for Junior Lake (Deal Done)

sipper65

Reporter: Tommy, what would you say your out pitch is?

TommyGoesBoom: "Any pitch I get an out with?"

Almost a Lennon-esque answer. Good one, Tommy.

How did you find America?

Turn left at Greenland :D

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fl9k3gL6vxw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How did you find America?

Turn left at Greenland :D

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fl9k3gL6vxw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Great one.

Was bittersweet to turn the Orioles calendar over to August today and see that Tommy Hunter was the featured player. I'm almost afraid to look at the rest of the calendar.

When I think lake, I think Felix Pie but we will find out

Pie was much more highly touted than Lake. Having studied their numbers now, I think Dan Duquette's comp of Jimmy Paredes is a really good one. Of course, that doesn't mean that Lake will produce as much as Paredes has for us. We kind of caught lightning in a bottle with Paredes, and frankly, I'm not at all confident his success is going to continue. His OPS has been .547 since July 1.

I think this trade was fair value, and I hope we can get a Paredes-like outcome, but the odds are against it. By the way, I think Lake is out of options, correct?

Pie was much more highly touted than Lake. Having studied their numbers now, I think Dan Duquette's comp of Jimmy Paredes is a really good one. Of course, that doesn't mean that Lake will produce as much as Paredes has for us. We kind if caught lightning in a bottle with Paredes, and frankly, I'm not at all confident his success is going to continue. His OPS has been .547 since July 1.

I think this trade was fair value, and I hope we can get a Paredes-like outcome, but the odds are against it. By the way, I think Lake is out of options, correct?

Correct. This was his year. I expect to see him all of September. And besides, we have lots of slots for next year.

"Hunter turned serious when he talked about growing up in Indianapolis, where his mother has been battling kidney cancer, undergoing radiation and recovering from a recent surgical procedure.

“Three hours away, man, it’s going to be really cool,” Hunter said. “She’s going to be coming up. I’m pretty excited about that. It’s a good chance right here for me to be close — and have a chance to win."

I simply don't understand why more posters are not upset over this salary dump.

DD has flushed 20+ million dollars down the toilet on DFA'ed players, yet for some reason we give away Hunter for nothing.

Last night and today I suppose, we have some reject named Rodon(?) in the bullpen instead of Tommy.

Hey I think we have the slimmest of chances (< 20%) of making the playoffs, but if we were going to trade Tommy, why not a bunch of others and really get a head start on the future.

I simply don't understand why more posters are not upset over this salary dump.

DD has flushed 20+ million dollars down the toilet on DFA'ed players, yet for some reason we give away Hunter for nothing.

Last night and today I suppose, we have some reject named Rodon(?) in the bullpen instead of Tommy.

Hey I think we have the slimmest of chances (< 20%) of making the playoffs, but if we were going to trade Tommy, why not a bunch of others and really get a head start on the future.

I think most folks here are not stupid and realize that a bullpen full of guys without options is not feasible long term.

They also realize that trading Hunter mostly offsets the cost of adding Parra.

They are also interested in seeing more of Givens.

They are also aware that Rondon is on the team because Wright got injured and that he will be sent down after today's game.

They also view Lake as the type of lottery ticket Dan has had pretty good luck cashing in.

Quick question. Why will Rondon be sent down after today's game. I thought he might get a real audition. He's got a big arm and I believe the O's risk losing him if he's sent down. Seems like an odd choice, since they could have called up someone else with options for 1 or 2 games.

Hunter is a middle of the road reliever. Upset? I love that trade even if Lake turns out to be nothing. As it is, they pick up a talented player who's played all over the diamond (400 games in the minors at SS). Lake could at least be a cheap bench player for next year. Before we call Rondon a bum, let's see what he's got. He's got really good stuff and threw strikes at Norfolk. Another good, cheap pickup by Duquette. A potential bullpen piece for next year if they don't lose him to waivers this year.

Tillman's next start is being pushed back.

They could send Givens back down but I think it's Rondon.

Quick question. Why will Rondon be sent down after today's game. I thought he might get a real audition. He's got a big arm and I believe the O's risk losing him if he's sent down. Seems like an odd choice, since they could have called up someone else with options for 1 or 2 games.

Hunter is a middle of the road reliever. Upset? I love that trade even if Lake turns out to be nothing. As it is, they pick up a talented player who's played all over the diamond (400 games in the minors at SS). Lake could at least be a cheap bench player for next year. Before we call Rondon a bum, let's see what he's got. He's got really good stuff and threw strikes at Norfolk. Another good, cheap pickup by Duquette. A potential bullpen piece for next year if they don't lose him to waivers this year.

Rondon has to be sent down to make room for tomorrow's starter, since Tillman's ankle will keep him off the bump for a couple of days. Not bad enough for a DL stint, but not well enough to pitch for a few more days.

Tough keeping up with the roster. Perhaps the O's don't value Rondon much but with the way DD loves to hold onto guys this doesn't seem like one of his moves. Call up a guy with no options, maybe don't even use him, and then risk losing him on waivers.

Could be. I think they view Givens as more of a weapon and that they can't afford to weaken the pen by sending him down.

Archived