Tommy Hunter to Cubs for Junior Lake (Deal Done)

sipper65

Tough keeping up with the roster. Perhaps the O's don't value Rondon much but with the way DD loves to hold onto guys this doesn't seem like one of his moves. Call up a guy with no options, maybe don't even use him, and then risk losing him on waivers.

Doesn't he still have this year's option? They picked him up off waivers in May from the Rockies. Hasn't he been on the 40 man roster?

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Assumed they picked him up off of waivers because he was out of options with the Rockies. He is on the 40 man roster. That wouldn't make a difference if he has no options left.

How could he be on the 40-man roster and in the minor leagues without an option? The transaction page says he was recalled, not that they selected his contract.

Assumed they picked him up off of waivers because he was out of options with the Rockies. He is on the 40 man roster. That wouldn't make a difference if he has no options left.

He was DFA'd by Colorado to open a 40 man slot. Not because he was out of options. And he had gotten shelled.

So Rondon or whomever else that fills Tommy's slot in the bullpen is an upgrade to Tommy? Why would we weaken our bullpen at the same time that we give up our #8 prospect for a push to the playoffs. I think our bullpen is clearly better (for the final 2 months of the season) with Tommy Hunter, so I don't get DD's half in approach. And of course we still have a wasted spot on Matusz.

So Rondon or whomever else that fills Tommy's slot in the bullpen is an upgrade to Tommy? Why would we weaken our bullpen at the same time that we give up our #8 prospect for a push to the playoffs. I think our bullpen is clearly better (for the final 2 months of the season) with Tommy Hunter, so I don't get DD's half in approach. And of course we still have a wasted spot on Matusz.

No, are you purposely being obtuse?

You give up Tommy to be able to afford Parra. Rondon doesn't replace Hunter, Givens does. Givens might very well be an upgrade over Hunter, it is way too early to tell.

Rondon is the guy who got called up because Wright, who replaced Norris, is injured.

No I am not trying to be obtuse.

I find it odd that a tem weakens its bullpen in a playoff push

I had not heard that the organization is so strapped for cash that it needed the 1.25 million dollar savings to afford Parra. If that's true I find it very scary.

I had not heard that the organization is so strapped for cash that it needed the 1.25 million dollar savings to afford Parra. If that's true I find it very scary.

Remember the riots?

Remember them losing five home dates?

There's your 1.25 million.

The problem is you think it weakened the bullpen. It didnt. Hunter was 4th to 6th on the depth chart. A clear middle reliever who was barely pitching in meaningful games. The roster flexibility created by opening that spot up is better than keeping it filled with Tommy Hunter.

We also have Jason Garcia coming back in a few days so it allows a spot to Garcia so he can be retained in the future, though that means Givens spot becomes the flexible one.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

The problem is you think it weakened the bullpen. It didnt. Hunter was 4th to 6th on the depth chart. A clear middle reliever who was barely pitching in meaningful games. The roster flexibility created by opening that spot up is better than keeping it filled with Tommy Hunter.

We also have Jason Garcia coming back in a few days so it allows a spot to Garcia so he can be retained in the future, though that means Givens spot becomes the flexible one.

Garcia is a significant downgrade from Hunter. I'm not against the trade, but I do think it downgrades our bullpen. Hopefully not by a critical amount.

Garcia is a significant downgrade from Hunter. I'm not against the trade, but I do think it downgrades our bullpen. Hopefully not by a critical amount.

I dont know if we should equate just the Hunter move to making a spot for Garcia. Removing Norris and Hunter creates space for a long man and middle reliever.

I guess it is time for you to tremble again. Ridiculous. With an optionable bullpen, the Orioles have been strengthened,

Garcia is an upgrade over Norris. Givens is potentially better than Hunter. If you believe in Givens, the bullpen is in much better shape now than it was a week ago.

Great one.

Was bittersweet to turn the Orioles calendar over to August today and see that Tommy Hunter was the featured player. I'm almost afraid to look at the rest of the calendar.

Then don't.

Take a Patrick-esque approach. All I care about is winning tomorrow's game against the Athletics, and improving our overall record to 54-51.

TUNNEL VISION

Archived