Is this the O's hitting philosophy in this quote?

NashLumber

I think it means two things:

1) You have to swing at the first good pitch you see, because it might be the only one you get.

2) It doesn't make sense to work up the pitch count any more like it used to, because today's relievers are just as effective, if not more so, as the starters.

Earlier this year the Red Sox abandoned their philosophy of driving up pitch counts. Hit when you have a good shot at it seems to be the philosophy emerging throughout baseball.

This has always been the predominant hitting philosophy throughout baseball. I have never heard a single pro hitting coach

suggest that hitters take "their" pitch in order to see more pitches or to run up a pitch count.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It means you will never get a pitch that you can possibly hit in today's game if you allow the pitcher to control the at bat by getting ahead by taking first. We belong to the "ambush a get me over pitch" school.

That's all good and well, no problem with a first pitch ambush on a good strike... the problems are pitches 2-4 when the entire team is swinging at anything that resembles a baseball coming towards the plate.

Also poor awareness of the situation.. starter in the 5th just walked the first 2 batters in the inning, just take the first pitch please?

It makes sense.

The points made by mdbdotcom and COC are valid IMO.

With the expanded strike zone and more emphasis on relief pitching hitters are definitely at a disadvantage.

I'd rather have a more aggressive approach at the plate from my hitters anyway.

Besides, these guys hit their way into the big leagues, they generally don't walk their way onto a major league roster.

Isn't that what Jose Canseco said? No one walks their way off the island!

No, it's not really called making adjustments. By the time a hitter is in the MLB, they pretty much are who they are. They just need to be good about who they are. If they are able. If not, then they probably are not one of the best 750 players in the world.

I disagree, slightly, Michael. Players can make adjustments. Manny is much more controlled this season than last season. He is hacking less at really bad pitches, and he is controlling the strike zone much better. At least earlier in the year it seemed like he was fouling off a lot of 2-strike pitches and really making things difficult for the opposing pitchers. If Manny can change his stripes, others can too.

I disagree, slightly, Michael. Players can make adjustments. Manny is much more controlled this season than last season. He is hacking less at really bad pitches, and he is controlling the strike zone much better. At least earlier in the year it seemed like he was fouling off a lot of 2-strike pitches and really making things difficult for the opposing pitchers. If Manny can change his stripes, others can too.

Here is a prime example of a player who in his first three seasons struck out over twice as much as he walked.

Then in his fourth mlb season changed his approach and ended up being on of the best #2 hitters in the game.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lansfca01.shtml

Archived