2015 Orioles, Lowered Expectations edition. Let's finish above .500!

PeteU

rick4.jpg

Because even if we're sitting on the couch eating bon-bons this October, life's still too short to return to 1998-2011.

The day is: September 15, 2015.

The Orioles current record is: 70-73

There are: 19 games left this season.

In order to finish above .500 this season, the Orioles will need to finish: 12-7.

rick4.jpg

Because even if we're sitting on the couch eating bon-bons this October, life's still too short to return to 1998-2011.

The day is: September 15, 2015.

The Orioles current record is: 70-73

There are: 19 games left this season.

In order to finish above .500 this season, the Orioles will need to finish: 12-7.

I like the goal, but with 10 road games left, it will tough.

I do not care in the slightest about 3rd place, .500, or anything other than a playoff spot. If we're not going to make the playoffs - I want to tank for draft position. I hope Gausman's starts go well, our key returnees stay healthy, and we go 0-19.

Sorry, rooting for any of my favorite sports teams to tank just isn't in my DNA.

Plus we've been burned so many times by high draft picks that it's just not worth the loss of dignity.

The Orioles were the 2014 AL East Champs, the current record is not acceptable on any level. The goal is to win every game on the schedule. I root for them to win every night. Dan screwed up this year and if this team doesn't win the AL next year, clean house.

I do not care in the slightest about 3rd place, .500, or anything other than a playoff spot. If we're not going to make the playoffs - I want to tank for draft position. I hope Gausman's starts go well, our key returnees stay healthy, and we go 0-19.

Our efforts to retain players or acquire players through free agency will be hurt if we finish poorly. I'm against that. I'd much prefer a fourth consecutive winning season to build on.

Our efforts to retain players or acquire players through free agency will be hurt if we finish poorly. I'm against that. I'd much prefer a fourth consecutive winning season to build on.

I don't think anyone we have a mutual interest in retaining who we're prepared to pay what they want is concerned with what happens during the next 3 weeks of meaningless games. I'm not sure if any of our existing players fall into that bucket anyway. And I don't expect us to put forward a competitive bid for any FA of consequence.

I understand completely that improved draft position gains you very little, but I also suspect finishing well as a non-playoff team unlikely to spend most likely gains us nothing. I'll roll the dice with gaining very little.

0-19 might be a touch of hyperbole, but I'm perfectly fine with sliding down the standings these next 3 weeks. I'd much rather 19-0 and make the playoffs - but that's not looking so likely right now.

I don't think anyone we have a mutual interest in retaining who we're prepared to pay what they want is concerned with what happens during the next 3 weeks of meaningless games. I'm not sure if any of our existing players fall into that bucket anyway. And I don't expect us to put forward a competitive bid for any FA of consequence.

I understand completely that improved draft position gains you very little, but I also suspect finishing well as a non-playoff team unlikely to spend most likely gains us nothing. I'll roll the dice with gaining very little.

0-19 might be a touch of hyperbole, but I'm perfectly fine with sliding down the standings these next 3 weeks. I'd much rather 19-0 and make the playoffs - but that's not looking so likely right now.

Weirder things have happened.

I don't agree with losing for the sake of getting a higher draft pick in baseball. How many great players in the game came from the Top 5 in the draft?

Here is the starting lineup for the Cardinals, who currently hold the best record in baseball - and where they were drafted:

C - Molina (4th round)

1B - Reynolds (16th round) - replaced injured Matt Adams (23rd round)

2B - Wong (1st round, 22nd pick)

SS - Peralta (signed as amateur free agent by Indians in 1999)

3B - Carpenter (13th round)

LF - Holliday (7th round)

CF - Bourjos (10th round)

RF - Heyward (1st round, 14th pick)

P - Lackey (2nd round)

P - Martinez (signed as amateur free agent by Red Sox in 2009)

P - Wacha (1st round, 19th pick)

P - Lynn (1st round, 39th pick)

P - Garcia (22nd round)

Not ONE guy drafted even in the top 10 of the 1st round.

Of course you have guys in the majors like Posey, Bumgarner, Kershaw, Grienke, etc. who were Top 10 picks (although none in the Top 5), and Trout who was low first round. But the bottom line, and the Cardinals have proven this, is how well you develop whoever you draft.

The day is: September 16, 2015.

The Orioles current record is: 71-73

There are: 18 games left this season.

In order to finish above .500 this season, the Orioles will need to finish: 11-8

You mean 11-7.

I'm all in favor of finishing with a winning record. I want a team that burns to win and has a winning culture.

Archived