FA starting pitching next year

El Gordo

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I excluded any SP that I thought would get 5/100M or more. O's will never pay that as long as PA is owner. That probably should include Zimmermann and Fister, but one can hope.

I think Fister will come cheap. Relegated to the bullpen in DC. I think he might sign a one year deal to get his worth up. Leake is a groundball pitcher like Fister.

Out of the FA SPs, I think we could probably get any two of Aaron Harang, Tim Hudson, or Jeremy Guthrie. Probably others, but those guys give you an idea of the type of FA we could afford. O's won't deal for any of the guys listed in the OP. Too expensive for a mid-market team that spent a ridiculous amount of money on dead weight this year.

Problem is, DD and Buck know that throwing money at a bunch of "innings-eater" veterans (read: guys who'll have a 5+ ERA) isn't going to get us to the playoffs, so they won't want to make these moves, even. They'll let our existing FA walk, then sit on their hands and not replace them, not even with terrible players. They'll just call up guys from the minors to replace them and hope for the best. Re-signing Guthrie would be the ultimate white flag on the 2016 season; it would be too obvious. So they won't do that.

Out of the FA SPs, I think we could probably get any two of Aaron Harang, Tim Hudson, or Jeremy Guthrie. Probably others, but those guys give you an idea of the type of FA we could afford. O's won't deal for any of the guys listed in the OP. Too expensive for a mid-market team that spent a ridiculous amount of money on dead weight this year.

Problem is, DD and Buck know that throwing money at a bunch of "innings-eater" veterans (read: guys who'll have a 5+ ERA) isn't going to get us to the playoffs, so they won't want to make these moves, even. They'll let our existing FA walk, then sit on their hands and not replace them, not even with terrible players. They'll just call up guys from the minors to replace them and hope for the best. Re-signing Guthrie would be the ultimate white flag on the 2016 season; it would be too obvious. So they won't do that.

We can get Norris back. Not sure what flag that would be . Maybe Black Flag because it would kill attendance dead.

I think Fister will come cheap. Relegated to the bullpen in DC. I think he might sign a one year deal to get his worth up. Leake is a groundball pitcher like Fister.

I strongly agree on Fister as a bounceback candidate. Really would pursue him pretty strongly. Any projections on what he would get? He's 31, coming off a pretty subpar season. Still carries a 3.44 lifetime ERA, and has had previous success in the AL.

I don't know if his season was bad enough to relegate him to a one year deal, but certainly provided some pause for that would've offered him huge money. Any chance he ends up in the Ubaldo contract range?

Archived