Dan Duquette's Nightmare Year

Slappy

In my opinion it's on the players themselves. I think DD is a solid GM, and Buck is one of the best managers in the league. Way too many players under-performed, and I think that happens sometimes. Thats why I'm not too freaked out over 2016. No reason this team can't be right there fighting for a playoff spot in September 2016. An DD will have the money to fill the Davis and Chen roles.

Even with all the problems this year, the team was still in contention at the end of July.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In my opinion it's on the players themselves. I think DD is a solid GM, and Buck is one of the best managers in the league. Way too many players under-performed, and I think that happens sometimes. Thats why I'm not too freaked out over 2016. No reason this team can't be right there fighting for a playoff spot in September 2016. And DD will have the money to fill the Davis and Chen roles.
Don't agree with this. Need TOR SP 20-30 M, COF 10-15 M, MOO bat 20-25 M, plus DH, LH RP. 40 M won't cover it.

Don't agree with this. Need TOR SP 20-30 M, COF 10-15 M, MOO bat 20-25 M, plus DH, LH RP. 40 M won't cover it.

I actually believe if we signed Chen and Davis and brought back this exact team, we would have a good shot at the AL East title...now the starters have to pitch like 2014 not 2015, Hardy needs to rebound offensively...combine that with continued growth from Machado and Schoop, and do a better job of finding role players that actually play to their career averages, and we would be right there.

Skip literally just said last night that Wright was a huge pickup for them. So now a guy who has posted 50K times on a message board knows more than a skip with a World Series title? Are you serious bro?

It's not very good. And I am a Wright fan. Compare his numbers to Brian Matusz.

2015 28 BAL AL 1 4 .200 2.98 56 0 15 0 0 0 48.1 37 18 16 5 20 3 56 3 0 2 204 138 3.60 1.179 6.9 0.9 3.7 10.4 2.80

And.

If you want to attack a fellow poster, find something other than his number of posts and community involvement to pick on him with.

Well...I think you could also look at it another way.....look at what DD gave Buck to work with in 2015:

Best defense in baseball

Best HR hitter in baseball

Best set-up man in baseball

Top 3 closer in baseball

Best 3b in baseball

Best defensive SS in baseball

All Star CF in his prime

Top 5 2B in the AL

Returned the entire rotation that was one of the best the second half of 2014

All of that and Buck couldn't get that team to play .500 ball.

There is some sugar coating there. The signs were there that the rotation would regress. Schoop was out for 3 months. Jones is an all star but was obviously injured most of the year.

Honest question. Is Manny the best 3B in baseball? Nolan Arenado may have something to say about that. Equivalent defense, more HR, more RBI.

There is some sugar coating there. The signs were there that the rotation would regress. Schoop was out for 3 months. Jones is an all star but was obviously injured most of the year.

Honest question. Is Manny the best 3B in baseball? Nolan Arenado may have something to say about that. Equivalent defense, more HR, more RBI.

I would say it is close to a push between the two of them. I like Machado's defense better (taking nothing away from Arenado), Machado is younger and I think will continue to get better. Also coming off 2 knee surgeries, so you have to expect with a few full off seasons of working out the sky is the limit. Also, consider that Arenado has been batting 3, 4, 5 all year, while Manny spent most of the year batting 1st, so far fewer rbi opportunities.

It's not very good. And I am a Wright fan. Compare his numbers to Brian Matusz.

2015 28 BAL AL 1 4 .200 2.98 56 0 15 0 0 0 48.1 37 18 16 5 20 3 56 3 0 2 204 138 3.60 1.179 6.9 0.9 3.7 10.4 2.80

And.

If you want to attack a fellow poster, find something other than his number of posts and community involvement to pick on him with.

I find it amusing when I get criticized for participating in the same online community as the person doing the critiquing.

But I still had to put them on /ignore.

Coors Field. Arenado has a 116 wRC+ to Manny's 131. WAR is 6.4 to 4.3 in favor of Machado.

As for who is the best 3B in baseball, it's neither of them. The best 3B in baseball plays in Toronto.

I actually believe if we signed Chen and Davis and brought back this exact team, we would have a good shot at the AL East title...now the starters have to pitch like 2014 not 2015, Hardy needs to rebound offensively...combine that with continued growth from Machado and Schoop, and do a better job of finding role players that actually play to their career averages, and we would be right there.

I think that is overly optimistic. For every guy that might rebound a bit, other guys are going to regress. Maybe AJ has a bad year. Maybe Joseph goes back to hitting .210. The safe assumption is that we would tread water at best. Our rotation was pretty bad top to bottom this year. Treading water is not going to cut it.

And I actually believe in Bigfoot. Don't think they'll discover him next year. Finding all those role players who over perform is a bit of a stretch too.

Archived