Why didn't O'Day get a QO

Catch 8

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I’ve now heard from 3 teams in the last few days that Nationals want to deal both Papelbon & Storen, while chasing O'Day, Chapman & others</p>— Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) <a href="

">November 23, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I’ve now heard from 3 teams in the last few days that Nationals want to deal both Papelbon & Storen, while chasing O'Day, Chapman & others</p>— Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) <a href="
">November 23, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That is a ton of resources to expend on a bullpen.

That is a ton of resources to expend on a bullpen.

Well, presumably they would get something of at least a little value for Storen in addition to clearing all of his salary. It will be interesting to see how much of Papelbon's $11M salary they will have to eat in order to trade him. I can't imagine any team wanting to roll the dice on such a pariah.

Well, presumably they would get something of at least a little value for Storen in addition to clearing all of his salary. It will be interesting to see how much of Papelbon's $11M salary they will have to eat in order to trade him. I can't imagine any team wanting to roll the dice on such a pariah.

I was looking at it like

Pay O'Day

Trade for and then pay Chapman

Pay to trade Paps

Trade Storen at a discount.

I was looking at it like

Pay O'Day

Trade for and then pay Chapman

Pay to trade Paps

Trade Storen at a discount.

Storen was 29 for 31 in save opportunities as the closer last year with an ERA of 1.73. He is a free agent after next season, if he put up those numbers over a full season he could be in line for a QO next year. I think he does have to leave the Nats because the situation there is toxic with how he was treated in re: Papelbon, but they ought to get some value for him and he could be the best free agent reliever next offseason.

Storen was 29 for 31 in save opportunities as the closer last year with an ERA of 1.73. He is a free agent after next season, if he put up those numbers over a full season he could be in line for a QO next year. I think he does have to leave the Nats because the situation there is toxic with how he was treated in re: Papelbon, but they ought to get some value for him and he could be the best free agent reliever next offseason.

Some value yea, but not full value. He didn't exactly handle the demotion well.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/washington-nationals-drew-storen-explains-breaking-thumb-while-slamming-locker-091815

Archived