Give Sam P. a chance

sammyjoe1

Why is it that everyone blames Perlozzo for the roster. I find it hard to believe that Sam a second year manager has the power to tell the Front Office who his 25 man roster will be. If you want to critcize the 3 man bench with Bynum that's fine but it was an ORGANIZATIONAL DECISION. The organization was concerned with only 1 off day through today and the back end of the rotation. I didn't like the idea at all but the idea it was all Sam that some have is a joke. Let's judge the man with Payton and Hernandez back.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wonder how long these folks think the planned starting lineup will be the actual starting lineup? Most teams have a player or two (or five) banged up most of the time. When your backup option at six poisitions is Freddy Bynum, that's going to hurt.

Well said.

How many folks here would strike the following deal with the baseball gods:

Payton and Hernandez are both out for the year, but no other player will miss a game to injury for the rest of the season.

You darn well should.

The O's injury issues to date have been pretty mild. Now the team very well may not be well enough constructed to be able to absorb even minor speed bumps, but make no mistake -- Hernandez and Payton are minor speed bumps. Just wait until you really have something(s) to worry about.

Why is it that everyone blames Perlozzo for the roster. I find it hard to believe that Sam a second year manager has the power to tell the Front Office who his 25 man roster will be. If you want to critcize the 3 man bench with Bynum that's fine but it was an ORGANIZATIONAL DECISION. The organization was concerned with only 1 off day through today and the back end of the rotation. I didn't like the idea at all but the idea it was all Sam that some have is a joke. Let's judge the man with Payton and Hernandez back.

I think because at the start of the season, Duquette mentioned that the loaded pen was Perlozzos idea and that the FO were giving it time to either succeed or fail on its own merit.

I think because at the start of the season, Duquette mentioned that the loaded pen was Perlozzos idea and that the FO were giving it time to either succeed or fail on its own merit.

I'm sorry but I had not heard that. I think the Front Office needs to do what they think is right for the team. Most second year managers coming off a 92 loss season wouldn't have the power to do that.

I'm sorry but I had not heard that. I think the Front Office needs to do what they think is right for the team. Most second year managers coming off a 92 loss season wouldn't have the power to do that.

Well, look at it this way (and I'm by no means backing Sam Perlozzo when I say this). The managers are the ones making the everyday on field decisions. It's probably best that they get to make the bulk of the roster decisions that effect them. Otherwise, why bother having a manager and a FO?

How many teams already have one starting pitcher out for the year?

Here are some starting pitchers on the DL right now.

Chris Carpenter

Randy Johnson

Francisco Liriano

Pedro Martinez

Mike Hampton

Jason Schmidt

Kenny Rogers

Pavano, Wang, Mussina, Karstens, Sanchez

Lester, Clement

Wood, Prior

Cliff Lee

Jason Jennings

Esteban Loaiza

John Thompson

Francis, BH Kim, RLo, Lawrence

Johnson, Nolasco, Mitre, Garcia

Meche, Elarton, Hudson

Kelvim Escobar

Kris Benson is out, replaced by his near clone Steve Trachsel? Cry me a friggin river.

EDIT: Whoops, missed a few:

Colon

Mulder

Harden

Backe

Here are some starting pitchers on the DL right now.

Chris Carpenter

Randy Johnson

Francisco Liriano

Pedro Martinez

Mike Hampton

Jason Schmidt

Kenny Rogers

Pavano, Wang, Mussina, Karstens, Sanchez

Lester, Clement

Wood, Prior

Cliff Lee

Jason Jennings

Esteban Loaiza

John Thompson

Francis, BH Kim, RLo, Lawrence

Johnson, Nolasco, Mitre, Garcia

Meche, Elarton, Hudson

Kelvim Escobar

Kris Benson is out, replaced by his near clone Steve Trachsel? Cry me a friggin river.

EDIT: Whoops, missed a few:

Colon

Mulder

Harden

Backe

That list is pathetic. Meche already pitched today again! Good grief.

Dave says "mild injuries". I say "Benson out for the year". Dave includes pitcher who pitched today on injured list!

Nothing wrong with making an unsubstantiated comment and taking it back, Dave.

When I was younger and my Dad would take me to games. I asked my Dad why the guy sprinted to third base everytime when he was only the coach. He said thats the way its supposed to be done. Just a lesson I lesson I learned my from my Dad and Sammy.

Its not like if we had Joe Torre we would be any better

This is Sam's chance. 2007 is the year we see whether his methods work. Whether he can win. This is Sam's chance.

If the gets this team to .500 he stays. If the does a lot better he gets an extension. If he does worse the O's will be looking for another solution.

This is Sam's chance. 2007 is the year we see whether his methods work. Whether he can win. This is Sam's chance.

If the gets this team to .500 he stays. If the does a lot better he gets an extension. If he does worse the O's will be looking for another solution.

His methods don't work. We have 3 pitchers (Bradford, Walker, Parrish) leading the league in appearances, with Parrish coming off of major arm surgery. Sure, they are all lights out right now, but their arms are going to be TOAST by the all-star break if we keep using them in this manner throughout the year.

As well, the love affair with Freddie Bynum is mind boggling. Any other manager in the world would have given him a one-way ticket to Norfolk as soon as he got in the dugout for getting doubled off at first base last night.

I believe Sam can make this team once they are healthy. Since the begining of the year he has solved how to use his bullpen-the rest will come in a week or 2. chill the o's are 7-7, .500 there is still a lot of baseball to be played.

PS:This post is in refrenece to the many people who believe Perlozzo is a bad manager. Remember Perlozzo still doesn't have a complete season as a Orioles manager yet.

Although I applaud him using Knott today against Kazmir (for which he was rewarded with a solid offensive performance), he still made a very questionable call in my book - in the 8th inning after the lead off hit by Knott, why have Gomez bunt Patterson over? And if you do bunt, why leave Bynum in to hit instead of using Huff / Gibbons?

I'd much rather let Patterson steal given his 75 - 80% success rate and then let Gomez try to bring him in than depend on Bynum to get a hit. Why have speed like Patterson has on the team if you're not going to use it?

In his defense, Perlozzo managed the pen well today and Gomez & Knott were the right choices to start against Kazmir.

Archived