Cubs Gonna Cubs

Stotle

• 3 weeks later...
You have Yadier who is going to be done in two years maybe,” Heyward told Chicago reporters. “You have Matt Holliday who is probably going to be done soon.

“There were already moves made with Jon Jay gone and then Tony Cruz and Wainwright is probably going to be done in three or four years. ... Guys like that are what really introduced me to the St. Louis Cardinals’ organization. I felt like if I was to look up and in three years see a completely different team, that would be difficult.”

Cardinals manager Mike Matheny, upon hearing Heyward’s sentiments, said, “I don’t think it’s going to ring too well with our club.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/article_a3b3d41f-b0d1-517c-a490-d00b7b1dad37.html#.Vnbu4yrpMrk.twitter

I think Heyward is correct that the Cubs have a better future than the Cardinals over the next 5-6 years. They have such a young core of good players.

His comments at the presser included mentions that the Cardinals roster would likely be very different in three years or so, while the Cubs have a team that is going to grow with the same core for the life of his contract. I don't recall him declaratively saying one team was going to be better (though he very well might have said something like that). Seemed like he was more speaking to having the same folks around him for the next six/seven years. Shrug.

I think Heyward is correct that the Cubs have a better future than the Cardinals over the next 5-6 years. They have such a young core of good players.

Well, the Cubs may well have an excellent young core and a seemingly brighter future than the Cardinals, but I would hardly say that Heyward was correct to say so to the media. He should know better, IMO.

Archived