Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A good test for what? To see if he'd accept it? Would you offer Steve Pearce a QO? Of course not. Give O'Day a choice between a 3-21 or even a 3/24 contract and a 1/16M contract and I don't like the outcome. O'Day on a 1 year 16M contract and no pick. You must love comp picks to take that risk. Is Josh Hart worth a 1/16M contract offer to Darren O'Day? You can probably find one or two comp picks in the last couple years to make a counter argument but they are the exception. The comp picks are lottery tickets. I'll take one less lottery ticket and keep the extra 7-8M that O'Day wouldn't get on the open market.

I'm sure you are right. But man, it would be fun to see what would happen. And no. Steve Pearce is a whole different animal. A 3.5 million dollar player coming off a HORRIBLE year.

I think it would. I am permitted to think it would be interesting.

Robertson turned down a QO last year and got 4/$46 mm. I think O'Day will do better than 3/$21 mm. More like 3/$25 mm or even 4/$30 mm. But I doubt he'd turn down a QO and you simply can't pay him $16 mm for a season.

Robertson turned down a QO last year and got 4/$46 mm. I think O'Day will do better than 3/$21 mm. More like 3/$25 mm or even 4/$30 mm. But I doubt he'd turn down a QO and you simply can't pay him $16 mm for a season.

I agree with this. I was just dreaming a dream.

Darren wont get the 4/36 Miller did or the 4/40 Miller was offered. But I could see 4/28 for certain.

O'Day is going to get a 3/21M contract from someone. I don't think he'll bet much more than that. Anything more than that is getting close to what is considered closer money and I don't believe a team will sign O'Day to close. I do appreciate O'Day. I just don't want to pay him 3/21M.
I am probably in the minority here. But I believe that O'Day is worth 3/21M. If it takes that to keep him, then I say go for it.

o

(vs. NATIONALS, 9/22)

O'Day recorded his 4th save of the year tonight.

Again ...... I like having a primary closer, but not an exclusive closer. I like the notion that every once in a while, somebody besides Britton ought to be capable of coming into a close game and finishing it.

Archived