"Wow offer made to Davis!" (7 years - $150M Not one nickle more)

wildcard

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You think we'll spend the money elsewhere if he doesn't sign?

Nope. I think this is a separate, outside the regular budget, up to Potter, negotiating process. If PA wants him, I think the budget for Chris will be outside whatever the budget is for the rest of the team this winter. But I don't think that will transfer to any other player.

Nope. I think this is a separate, outside the regular budget, up to Potter, negotiating process. If PA wants him, I think the budget for Chris will be outside whatever the budget is for the rest of the team this winter. But I don't think that will transfer to any other player.

And the other winters for the life of the contract?

And the other winters for the life of the contract?

Too many variables play into what happens in future winters. And perhaps Peter is less worried about future winters and a little more concerned about winning right now.

No, certainly if PA signs Davis to a long term deal that might otherwise be taken from the "improvement budget" for 2016 then I think PA will allow DD to leave the budget inflated for 2016 purposes, but it certainly does not mean that future budgets would not include Davis's contract for planning purposes, but I think it would likely commit ownership to a larger team budget for the duration of the contract than would be the case if he is not signed.

I don't think the entirety of a Davis signing will be absorbed by ownership.

So yes, some of the money going to Davis would be spent elsewhere over the next six-seven years.

Lol, right. Why would they reallocate funds earmarked for Davis on other players for this years team when they have no intention of being competitive? I guess the same or similar contract for Heyward is out of the question? Bah....

Its official. We have reached that time of year when reason is suspended and "Crazy Talk" is in vogue.

From Roch:

They (the O's) aren't scared away by projections of six- and seven-year deals ranging from $144 million to $182 million.

That kind of a contract should be reserved for a superstar talent when talking about a team with the O's payroll. 24-26m/yr for a team with a 120-130 payroll is a chunk.

Davis is not even the O's best player. Manny Machado bested Davis in the AL MVP balloting. If the O's should think of offering anyone that kind of money its Manny. The O's won't pay two players at that level.

So far I don't hear any other team willing to go to that level of contract for Davis. I would temper that 144-182m talk for Davis. Its not reality just yet as far as I know.

I think the O's will go in another direction long before Davis signs. But that is just me. At any rate the O's paying 144-182m for Davis is Crazy Talk IMO.

Archived