Dexter Fowler?

FanSince88

Haven't seen anything linking the O's to Dexter Fowler. Why would that be? He's a switch hitting outfielder who gets on base and plays decent defense, which would probably improve defensively by switching to right or left field. He also has some speed on the basepaths. His salary projections put him below the Gordon signing.

Very little chatter on this board about him. Am I missing something?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haven't seen anything linking the O's to Dexter Fowler. Why would that be? He's a switch hitting outfielder who gets on base and plays decent defense, which would probably improve defensively by switching to right or left field. He also has some speed on the basepaths. His salary projections put him below the Gordon signing.

Not worth giving up the first round pick.

Yes. The draft pick.

Wanna give up a pick for him? The only hitter I wanted to give a pick up for is gone-Heyward.

I'd give up a pick for him at 3/36 or 4/45 or so. Remember, we'd get the comp pick if we give up Davis. And an additional one for losing Chen. I want picks, too, but I also want some competence in the corner outfield spots. Kim is a good start but good to have more in case he doesn't pan out.

It's the pick. Although it is an interesting question. I mean, I would much rather give Fowler 3/36 and give up the #14 pick than give Gordon 4/72 and give up the #14 pick. The pick should be seen as having a dollar value. What that is, of course, depends on your perspective.

I could see the Mets signing Fowler. They still need a CFer unless they plan on playing De Aza there. The Rangers also have a need and could fit him into their budget. Tigers and Nats could give him a look too.

He was probably the most borderline of the players that turned down the QO and I think the tag could hurt him more than any other player this offseason. Quite possibly went from a 4/60 guy to a 3/36 guy because of the pick. I don't want him at the expense of losing a pick, but if the alternative is do nothing I'll take him at a reduced price.

I could see the Mets signing Fowler. They still need a CFer unless they plan on playing De Aza there. The Rangers also have a need and could fit him into their budget. Tigers and Nats could give him a look too.

He was probably the most borderline of the players that turned down the QO and I think the tag could hurt him more than any other player this offseason. Quite possibly went from a 4/60 guy to a 3/36 guy because of the pick. I don't want him at the expense of losing a pick, but if the alternative is do nothing I'll take him at a reduced price.

Agreed on the Mets; also the Cardinals can take a look at a Fowler because he can play CF. He will fit in the budget of some of these teams like Span fit the Giants budget... rather than Upton, Cespedes, and Davis.

The guy that will be hurt the most by declining the QO is Ian Kennedy. A lot of teams have already improved their pitching and he's not even that good.

Agreed on the Mets; also the Cardinals can take a look at a Fowler because he can play CF. He will fit in the budget of some of these teams like Span fit the Giants budget... rather than Upton, Cespedes, and Davis.

The guy that will be hurt the most by declining the QO is Ian Kennedy. A lot of teams have already improved their pitching and he's not even that good.

I don't know. Kennedy's K/9 is better than Chen or Gallardo, granted he's been doing that in the NL. I don't think there is a huge difference among the three. They are all solid # 3 starters.

I don't know. Kennedy's K/9 is better than Chen or Gallardo, granted he's been doing that in the NL. I don't think there is a huge difference among the three. They are all solid # 3 starters.

Kennedy leading the majors in giving up HR's would really scare me in OPACY

Given our ability to develop prospects, I feel like we are way too overprotective of draft picks and the prospects we have. Very few players have gone through our system and become major league contributors in the past decade plus. I'd much rather move these picks and prospects intelligently while they are valuable than hold on to them just to have a "strong" farm system that is going to fall flat when they reach the majors.

This post is brought to you courtesy of Hayden Penn.

Given our ability to develop prospects, I feel like we are way too overprotective of draft picks and the prospects we have. Very few players have gone through our system and become major league contributors in the past decade plus. I'd much rather move these picks and prospects intelligently while they are valuable than hold on to them just to have a "strong" farm system that is going to fall flat when they reach the majors.

This post is brought to you courtesy of Hayden Penn.

I would give up a pick for Fowler, but I think that it'd be smarter to keep the pick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would give up a pick for Fowler, but I think that it'd be smarter to keep the pick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm not sure Fowler is the guy I'd want to give up the pick for, I was just speaking more generally about pick protection. For a guy like Upton, Davis, Gordon, etc. I wouldn't hesitate a moment.

Archived