Trade Idea...With Padres

Answerman

I got some great feedback on my other thread about trading with the Cubs for Jorge Soler. The most insightful thing I read was the poster who suggested if Bundy was to be traded, it would have to be to a team not expecting to compete this year. So...

I think an ideal fit for our vacant right field spot would be Wil Myers. He's had some injuries in recent years, but should be ready for a nice bounce back year. I used to watch this former rookie of the year when he played for the Durham Bulls. Great player...and seems like a genuinely nice guy. Would be a great addition and possibly a buy-low candidate with potential to outplay the price. He has four controllable years left, and hits left-handed. He'll probably never win a gold glove, but his defense is definitely not a liability. He's a solid major leaguer. He also hits for average and has a good eye. Would possibly be our best on-base guy.

I propose sending Mancini, Cisco and Bundy for him. Would SD do that? Would we?

Myers hits right handed. It all comes down to his wrist. Hasn't he had a lot of problems with it. Buyer beware. If healthy, I still wouldn't do the proposed trade as I'm high on Mancini's bat and still hold out hope for Bundy. A good thought though. I did just post in the Soler thread as well.

I think that is too much to give up. But SD would definitely do that in a heartbeat IMO.

Good question. They might be worried about his ability to stay on the field and, as a rebuilding team, see a chance to get 3 young players for 1.

I guess that's a possibility. Though, if shopping Myers, I'd be surprised if this is the package that pushes them to say, "We've got to jump on this."

Why should the Orioles do that with Bundy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only reason would be Baltimore is trying to compete this year and they need/want to use that roster spot. Both have had injury issues. Myers is a more proven commodity at this point.

The way things are going so far this offseason, Bundy is in our rotation. We need him for immediate results too. I'd rather just sink or swim with Bundy and Harvey. We're never going to sign that 30 million dollar Ace pitcher. So we have to develop them. I'd rather let it drag out. Put them in the bullpens when they run out of options. Try and get them healthy and successful until they become DFA material.

Even though Bundy is out of options he's far away from being DFA material. IMO he'd have to be healthy and completely suck in mop up duty for 1.5 seasons at the least.

Plus right now we have offense and no pitching. There is absolutely no need to trade whatever pitching prospects that are still left for a hitter. Especially when there are still some FA bats on the market. Plus we currently have 9 OF's on our 40 man roster. We have to find out if they can play or not. I'd rather keep Bundy and role with our 9 OF's or sign a guy like Marlon Byrd to a 1 year deal.

The way things are going so far this offseason, Bundy is in our rotation. We need him for immediate results too. I'd rather just sink or swim with Bundy and Harvey. We're never going to sign that 30 million dollar Ace pitcher. So we have to develop them. I'd rather let it drag out. Put them in the bullpens when they run out of options. Try and get them healthy and successful until they become DFA material.

Bundy is not in our rotation, regardless of what else happens. He's thrown a grand total of 63.1 minor league innings in the last three seasons combined. He's simply not stretched out enough to be a starter from day one.

Best case scenario is he gets some regular work out of the bullpen for the first few months and makes some starts in the second half, but even that might be wishful thinking.

I got some great feedback on my other thread about trading with the Cubs for Jorge Soler. The most insightful thing I read was the poster who suggested if Bundy was to be traded, it would have to be to a team not expecting to compete this year. So...

I think an ideal fit for our vacant right field spot would be Wil Myers. He's had some injuries in recent years, but should be ready for a nice bounce back year. I used to watch this former rookie of the year when he played for the Durham Bulls. Great player...and seems like a genuinely nice guy. Would be a great addition and possibly a buy-low candidate with potential to outplay the price. He has four controllable years left, and hits left-handed. He'll probably never win a gold glove, but his defense is definitely not a liability. He's a solid major leaguer. He also hits for average and has a good eye. Would possibly be our best on-base guy.

I propose sending Mancini, Cisco and Bundy for him. Would SD do that? Would we?

Mancini is our future DH, Cisco is our future C.

Myers hits right handed. It all comes down to his wrist. Hasn't he had a lot of problems with it. Buyer beware. If healthy, I still wouldn't do the proposed trade as I'm high on Mancini's bat and still hold out hope for Bundy. A good thought though. I did just post in the Soler thread as well.

Buyer beware indeed. I don't know that he will ever be what he appeared to be.

Archived