The Defense Thread, 2016

OFFNY

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

(vs RANGERS, 4/16)

T.J. McFarland failed to cover 1st base in a crucial, late-game situation on a ground ball to the right side.

Later that same inning, Mark Trumbo had a ball go under his glove, turning a 2-RBI single into (essentially) a triple.

In my rat's ass of an opinion, that inning alone made for a bad game defensively overall, regardless of what happened in the other 8 innings.

o

(vs RANGERS, 4/16)

T.J. McFarland failed to cover 1st base in a crucial, late-game situation on a ground ball to the right side.

Later that same inning, Mark Trumbo had a ball go under his glove, turning a 2-RBI single into (essentially) a triple.

In my rat's ass of an opinion, that inning alone made for a bad game defensively overall, regardless of what happened in the other 8 innings.

It's still worth noting that Manny made two brilliant plays on smashes to his backhand side, turning one into a double play. Schoop also made a diving play on a ball.

Forget which game it was, but Caleb had one in which he made two poor throws down to second and dropped a throw home from Adam Jones that probably would have nailed the runner.

Manny was amazing last night.

(vs RANGERS, 4/16)

It's still worth noting that Manny made two brilliant plays on smashes to his backhand side, turning one into a double play. Schoop also made a diving play on a ball.

Orioles’ Infield Defense has Been Golden

(By Roch Kubatko)

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/04/orioles-infield-defense-has-been-golden.html

Fangraphs has Davis at -0.8 on defense so far this year. I think anyone who has watched the games would tell you that's ridiculous.
To put that in context no 1B has a plus rating. The best is Matt Holliday at -0.5. CD is tied for 5th best with -0.8.

April 19

- Rickard hustled over on a ball Encarnacion hooked into the corner and held him to a single.

- Davis made a diving stop of a hard hit grounder over the bag.

- Hardy missed a bad-hop grounder, correctly scored a hit.

- Wieters made a bad throw on a stolen base that hopped past Schoop for an E-2.

Archived