The Defense Thread, 2016

OFFNY

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope that Alvarez stays at DH, also.

I'm just passing on what Roch Kubatko observed yesterday.

I'd like to see Kim at DH.

I failed to elaborate.

As long as he is in the lineup, I would like to see Alvarez stay at DH.

I'm not necessarily in favor of keeping him in the lineup as much as he has been in it.

I wouldn't mind seeing more of Reimold than we have so far, either in RF, or at DH ...... or, at a little bit of both.

I hope that Alvarez stays at DH, also.

I'm just passing on what Roch Kubatko observed yesterday.

I'd like to see Kim at DH.

I failed to elaborate.

As long as he is in the lineup, I would like to see Alvarez stay at DH.

I'm not necessarily in favor of keeping him in the lineup as much as he has been in it.

I wouldn't mind seeing more of Reimold than we have so far, either in RF, or at DH ...... or, at a little bit of both.

Reimold is playing right field tonight, and Trumbo is DH-ing.

Woo hoo.

To me, Ubaldo's spearing the bullet back through the box by Encarnacion and doubling the runner off 3rd was the single biggest defensive play in the game. If that hit gets through, one run comes in, maybe two (Bautista was at second), and it could have opened things up completely.

Jones' catch was amazing but the runner scored on the next double anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

4/29/2016:

Bases loaded, 1 out, Orioles hanging on to a 1-run lead. Melke laces a sinking liner toward the gap. Adam Jones makes a nice play on the ball, then fires a STRIKE to Wieters, who completes the quick swipe tag to nail Jimmy Rollins and preserve the lead.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v639218083/cwsbal-a-jones-nabs-rollins-at-home-to-turn-two/?game_pk=447200

Didn't see it, but Joe Angel opined that it was the best throw by an Orioles outfielder this year, and the tag as one of the best you will ever see from a catcher.

The Jones to Wieters play at the plate from the 2012 marathon game in Boston still has a special place in my heart.

Didn't see it, but Joe Angel opined that it was the best throw by an Orioles outfielder this year, and the tag as one of the best you will ever see from a catcher.

Here you go:

<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=639935083&topic_id=73955164&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

At first glance it almost looks like a swipe tag, but after further review Weiters starts up high catching the throw from Jones and sweeps downward slapping the tag on Rollins. Big difference is if he continues the motion with the glove he could miss him. Great play.

I've always thought that wieters is pretty good making tags, quick with them and good at holding onto the ball.

I would put schoop in that category too, consistently impressed with how quickly he can drop a tag on a potential base stealer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived