The Defense Thread, 2016

OFFNY

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't see it -- I was eating dinner during the 2nd/3rd inning. Do people agree that Rickard misplayed that ball?

He definitely did IMO. The first run would have scored for sure if he played it off the wall or the hop, the dive attempt (which was not really close), cost us the extra run.

If he would have gotten a better jump, and took a better route, he could have caught it (still a tough play though).

I didn't see it -- I was eating dinner during the 2nd/3rd inning. Do people agree that Rickard misplayed that ball?

I do think he took a less than ideal route to the ball, and the dive was ill-advised.

I'm not sure I'd say it cost the O's a run though. I think the guy on 1st scores either way, dive or no dive.

I do think he took a less than ideal route to the ball, and the dive was ill-advised.

I'm not sure I'd say it cost the O's a run though. I think the guy on 1st scores either way, dive or no dive.

If he hadn't drove, he still would have had to chase it down. I do agree that run scores, only if he doesn't catch the ball.

I am not going to fault the shift. A lefty bat that barely got wood on it and hit it opposite field.

Joey got on his horse and made a valiant attempt to get it, and nearly did.

I thought he could have kept the ball in front of him if he didn't dive for it. I would have to rewatch though.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v601555383/torbal-tulowitzki-drives-in-two-with-double-to-left/?c_id=mlb

Looked to me like he missed catching it by a whisker, Doubt he could have cut it off on the bounce and the run would have scored anyway IMO.

Looking at it again, I change my opinion that Rickard misplayed it. It was smashed, and he didnt get as bad of a jump on it as I remember when I saw it live.

Roch's blog this morning mentioned a play I omitted, where Davis had to jump high in the air to catch a throw from Hardy and then swept his arm behind him to tag the runner an eyelash before he reached 1B.

Davis has really been outstanding in the early going.

Looking at it again, I change my opinion that Rickard misplayed it. It was smashed, and he didnt get as bad of a jump on it as I remember when I saw it live.

They got to you eh?

A couple PMs suggesting it might not be a good idea to criticize Rickard if you ever want that bird?

:P

Roch's blog this morning mentioned a play I omitted, where Davis had to jump high in the air to catch a throw from Hardy and then swept his arm behind him to tag the runner an eyelash before he reached 1B.

Davis has really been outstanding in the early going.

He's been much better this year.

Archived