Zachary davies

bpilktree

Not many Orioles fans may have noticed but Steven Brault, one of two pitchers sent to Pittsburgh for Snider, made his MLB Debut tonight. Brault was pitching well in the minors for pittsburgh but was brought up now in part due to injury as both Gerrit Cole and Jamison Taillon are on the DL. Brault started against the Cardinals and acquitted himself well. He only got through 4 innings. He gave up 2 runs, 1 earned, and struck out 5. He worked down in the zone and pitched effectively. He also got a hit in his first MLB at bat.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not many Orioles fans may have noticed but Steven Brault, one of two pitchers sent to Pittsburgh for Snider, made his MLB Debut tonight. Brault was pitching well in the minors for pittsburgh but was brought up now in part due to injury as both Gerrit Cole and Jamison Taillon are on the DL. Brault started against the Cardinals and acquitted himself well. He only got through 4 innings. He gave up 2 runs, 1 earned, and struck out 5. He worked down in the zone and pitched effectively. He also got a hit in his first MLB at bat.

Surely you are not talking about the OH though? ;) The OH was all over that as soon as it was announced, blasting DD.....

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/146178-Orioles-trade-with-the-Pirates-for-OF-Travis-Snider-(Trade-Complete)/page40

Davies 6 and 2/3rd innings' date=' 2 runs against the nats tonight.[/quote']

He looks like he is 16 years old!

Pitched well I thought. Would have been more productive if ump gave him some close calls. Reminds me a lot of Tyler Wilson in some ways.

He looks like he is 16 years old!

Pitched well I thought. Would have been more productive if ump gave him some close calls. Reminds me a lot of Tyler Wilson in some ways.

I think his command is considerably better than Tyler's. Not his walk rate per se, but his ability to avoid throwing pitches in the middle of the plate and/or belt-high. And of course, he's four years younger.

I just tell myself he wouldn't be successful in Baltimore. Much like Arrieta. Maybe it's a coping mechanism but I just figure that you're playing from behind when you get drafted by the Orioles.

So that makes you feel better? That would make me feel much worse!

In any event, if there was ever a pitcher who the Orioles developed in a methodical and consistent way, it was Zach Davies. He had a full year at Delmarva, Frederick, Bowie and Norfolk (prior to the trade), and had steady success at every level. Nothing that is happening to him in the majors is surprising to me. My guess is he will eventually take his game up one more notch and be a sub-4.00 ERA starter, though maybe not this year.

We had a plethora of pitching you know...

I remember there were some remarks by Dan, Buck or both to the effect of "we also have Wright and Wilson, who are a little ahead of Davies, so we felt we could afford to give up Davies." The implication of these remarks was that the three were equivalent. But certainly anyone who has followed their minor league careers and what scouts had said about them should have realized that Davies was easily the best prospect of the three of them.

I remember there were some remarks by Dan, Buck or both to the effect of "we also have Wright and Wilson, who are a little ahead of Davies, so we felt we could afford to give up Davies." The implication of these remarks was that the three were equivalent. But certainly anyone who has followed their minor league careers and what scouts had said about them should have realized that Davies was easily the best prospect of the three of them.

Obviously you know how bullish I was on Davies, but that feeling was not really shared by some of the scouts I talked to inside and out of the organization. I think most felt he was a middle reliever, 5th starter guy because he wouldn't be able to hold up because of his stature. As one scout tole me one time, "He's smaller than Leake."

In my mind, I saw a guy who held his stuff late into games, commanded four major league average pitches around the strikezone, and who had put up good numbers while always being young for his league. I truly beleive if Davies was 6-4, he would have been considered a top prospect and would not have been dealt for Parra on a .500 Orioles team.

7 shutout innings for Davies today, but he got non-decisioned. ERA to 3.79.

And on 7/23 tosses 6.1 against the Cubs for the win. 3H 1ER 2BB 4K 95-58 NP-S ERA to 3.64

Of course, he couldn't do that in the mighty AL east.

• 5 weeks later...

o

(vs. ROCKIES, 8/24)

6 innings of 1-run ball.

Good enough for his 10th W of the season.

He did walk 3 batters, and was a little shaky in his Strikes-to-Balls ratio ...... 101 Pitches (60 Strikes, 41 Balls.)

At the same time, 11 out of the 18 outs that he recorded came via the strikeout (8) and the ground ball (3.)

o

(vs. ROCKIES, 8/24)

6 innings of 1-run ball.

Good enough for his 10th W of the season.

He did walk 3 batters, and was a little shaky in his Strikes-to-Balls ratio ...... 101 Pitches (60 Strikes, 41 Balls.)

At the same time, 11 out of the 18 outs that he recorded came via the strikeout (8) and the ground ball (3.)

He's been very good. As Tony-OH always said he would be.

Archived