Cristian Alvarado

ShaneDawg85

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 1:53 PM, Luke-OH said:

His fastball has ticked up substantially in relief and was 93-96 in one look, up from 89-92 as a starter. He’s got a real chance to be at least an up and down arm, maybe middle relief.

After 7 years in the system, I hope he gets a chance one day. 

On 7/15/2019 at 2:53 PM, Luke-OH said:

His fastball has ticked up substantially in relief and was 93-96 in one look, up from 89-92 as a starter. He’s got a real chance to be at least an up and down arm, maybe middle relief.

Luke, Do you think the O's protect him from the Rule 5 draft?

8 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Very surprised to see Tate as #1.  Thought you would go with Sedlock 1st.  All of these guys profile as relievers?  What makes Tate the best bet?

Sedlock is a reliever now because of his innings limit for the season.  But in the future the path of being a starter is still open for him.

15 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Tate, Sedlock, Peralta, Alvarado

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

Sedlock is a reliever now because of his innings limit for the season.  But in the future the path of being a starter is still open for him.

Does any pitcher who profiles as a #4/5 starter rank higher than a reliever with a more electric arm? I think you can definitely make the case that Sedlock should be ranked higher unless you don't think he profiles as a #4/5 starter. If you think he profiles as a reliever, than I think Tate's reportedly superior arm talent could rank him higher. My read from some of Luke's posts is that he's not sold on Sedlock's pure stuff, so his probability of sticking as a starter is relatively low.

On 7/23/2019 at 7:35 PM, RZNJ said:

Very surprised to see Tate as #1.  Thought you would go with Sedlock 1st.  All of these guys profile as relievers?  What makes Tate the best bet?

Purely the likelihood of them getting selected and sticking. Sedlock is not ready to start in the majors and may never be, he really profiles better in relief for me. The combination of mediocre fastball velocity and fringe fastball command needs to change if he's going to start. He's not going to get picked in the Rule 5 to be used as a starter. He'd be used in relief. So the question is do you want a guy who throws 95-98 with an average slider/change and has relief experience or a guy who throws 90-94 with an above average slider/change who has a troubling injury history and doesn't have experience in a relief type usage. I think they both need to be protected. Peralta is questionable, I think you leave him unprotected unless he trends up with performance and command. 

59 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Purely the likelihood of them getting selected and sticking. Sedlock is not ready to start in the majors and may never be, he really profiles better in relief for me. The combination of mediocre fastball velocity and fringe fastball command needs to change if he's going to start. He's not going to get picked in the Rule 5 to be used as a starter. He'd be used in relief. So the question is do you want a guy who throws 95-98 with an average slider/change and has relief experience or a guy who throws 90-94 with an above average slider/change who has a troubling injury history and doesn't have experience in a relief type usage. I think they both need to be protected. Peralta is questionable, I think you leave him unprotected unless he trends up with performance and command. 

Well, there is no reason all four can't be added to our 40-man.

The development system has changed under Elias.   Players actually seem to be getting better with better instruction.   Harvey, Sedlock and Tate may be relievers now but with better instruction, another pitch, and/or a strengthening  program they could turn into starters.    Look what happen to Means.   I am not labeling any of these guys relievers for the rest on their career.   Things could change.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The development system has changed under Elias.   Players actually seem to be getting better with better instruction.   Harvey, Sedlock and Tate may be relievers now but with better instruction, another pitch, and/or a strengthening  program they could turn into starters.    Look what happen to Means.   I am not labeling any of these guys relievers for the rest on their career.   Things could change.

Of course, profiles change all the time, but you can't just project additional pitches, velocity, command onto 24/25 year olds without good reason. Yes, John Means, who is an exception, not a rule. If/when things change, my opinion will change with those profile changes. The only real reasonable thing to project on the guys you listed is maybe some command improvement for Harvey because he has the delivery/mechanics to support average command and has missed significant development time. 

• 3 weeks later...