Cristian Alvarado

ShaneDawg85

I'm still rooting for a decision to change the system to 9-10 guys who can all do 5-6 innings.  Start 5 for 5 innings, have another do 3 innings of relief and have 1-2 guys like Alvarado at the end as closers.  The starters can switch off if need be.  No one faces a third time through the lineup. Other than Baumann it looks like most of our  starter prosopects are good for 6 and we have a few relievers throwing 3 at a time.  We could put together enough guys in a couple of years for the Os.

6 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

With Bowie pretty much out of the playoffs, Alvarado should be promoted to Norfolk. He has been impressive out of the pen.

I wouldn't be opposed, but Bowie is only 2.5 GB with double digit games to go.  Norfolk isn't in the race at all so I'm not sure how valuable less than two weeks would be for him.  

Just now, ShaneDawg85 said:

I wouldn't be opposed, but Bowie is only 2.5 GB with double digit games to go.  Norfolk isn't in the race at all so I'm not sure how valuable less than two weeks would be for him.  

Bowie is done. Erie is stacked and the remainder of their schedule is against all the worst teams of the division.

On 8/16/2019 at 9:54 AM, RZNJ said:

Very few starters go more than six now. The biggest change you are advocating is the usage of relievers. 

Except it would be planned that they only go a scheduled 5 or 6.  The starter walks on the field knowing his innings instead of expecting to pitch until they are in trouble.  Of course they could be pulled early if needed, and it could be agreed to make exceptions for perfect game starts.

Alvarado went two hitless innings today, allowing one walk and striking out four.

Tides only have 12 games left themselves after today. The only reason to bring him up there at this point is to get a feel for the MLB balls before coming up to Baltimore in September. Not sure whether the Orioles have made that decision or not, but I am sure they have considered it.

1 hour ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

Since giving up four runs on August 2, Alvarado hasn't give up a run over 9 IP, allowing only 1 walk while striking out 12, with opposing hitters hitting .125 off him.  Dude has played a part in Bowie staying in playoff contention down the stretch.

When I have watched him, many of the hits he has given up were of the very luck infield variety. 

3 hours ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

Since giving up four runs on August 2, Alvarado hasn't give up a run over 9 IP, allowing only 1 walk while striking out 12, with opposing hitters hitting .125 off him.  Dude has played a part in Bowie staying in playoff contention down the stretch.

I’ve always kind of liked the guy even though he never seemed to be on the prospect radar.    It would be a nice story if he made it to the majors someday.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’ve always kind of liked the guy even though he never seemed to be on the prospect radar.    It would be a nice story if he made it to the majors someday.  

I should take another look, his velocity is up big time in relief but his breaking ball looked like it took a step back. But maybe it was just a bad look at the pitch, it was a 50/55 in Frederick last year but a 40 fastball as a starter.

15 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I should take another look, his velocity is up big time in relief but his breaking ball looked like it took a step back. But maybe it was just a bad look at the pitch, it was a 50/55 in Frederick last year but a 40 fastball as a starter.

Reading seems to have a really good camera for you to evaluate