Wow, Kim is untouchable

cm1290

The umpire at 1B was closer and he might well have missed his call. That's why we have replay. Being there means nothing. If the Ump doesn't call the swing and he runs he concedes the swing. Did you hear the ump call it?

Ask around. You always run.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know how you can be sure of anything I think. Isn't that a bit presumptive? But my question was about the rule. Do you know what it is? I don't. Why wasn't it a dead ball?

It was swinging strike three called by the home plate ump. He did not call a dead ball.

I am pretty sure that Kim should have run. And so are you.

He should have run in hindsight, that is obvious. And I had the same thought watching the play in real time.

But there is a good explanation for why he didn't. 99% of players that foul a ball off their foot are not going to run because they assume the play is dead. If you run automatically, you could risk fooling the ump into calling a strike, so I can see why he didn't and I am not sure I would want him to run again in the same situation in the future until he knows strike three has been called.

Right. As soon as he called strike three, Kim put his head down and ran.

I felt he stood looked delayed then ran when he saw the catcher running after the ball. But I'm done. I like Kim. I sing his song. The Korean way.

I never said he was lazy. He cost the game with the confusion without Pena and Wieters.

Uh I never said you did. I was responding to backwardsa.

And it's a bit of a stretch to say he cost the game with that mistake. We would've had 1st and 3rd with 1 out.

It was swinging strike three called by the home plate ump. He did not call a dead ball.
This is the best I can find: "In the case where a batter swings and the pitch hits him anyway, the ball is dead and a strike is called. If the batter does not attempt to avoid the pitch, he is not awarded first base, and the pitch is ruled either a strike if in the strike zone or a ball if out of the strike zone." Nothing about why it wasn't a dead ball in that instance. It would be a good question to ask Buck.

Uh I never said you did. I was responding to backwardsa.

And it's a bit of a stretch to say he cost the game with that mistake. We would've had 1st and 3rd with 1 out.

I think the next play would have tied it. But if I am wrong I will retract. As Earl said, everything changes everything. Anyway.

I think the next play would have tied it. But if I am wrong I will retract. As Earl said, everything changes everything. Anyway.

Because of Kim's mistake, we had a man on third with two outs vs 1st and 3rd with one out. His mistake essentially took away the opportunity for a sac fly to score the tying run. It did not however negate a hit or wild pitch from scoring a run. As it were, Manny struck out, ending the inning

The fact is that Kim swung the bat and missed and the pitch was in the dirt. Even if he felt it hit his foot you don't assume anything. You run and let them sort it out later. If it hit his foot the ball dead, Kim is out, and the runner doesn't advance to 3rd. That non call actually helped us. Still, if your Kim you just run.
He Was checking his swing. If the umpire doesn't call it, it's a passed ball. If he runs he concedes the swing.

Archived