2016 Offseason Redo

Bahama O's Fan

I think many of us thought there were a lot of question marks in our offseason. If you could redo it, what moves would you make. Please do not include ridiculous trades. Here are our major moves:

Trading for Trumbo

QO to Wieters

Resigning Davis

Resigning O'Day

Rule V Rickard

Signing Kim

Signing Alvarez

Signing Gallardo

Releasing Miggy (technically spring training)

1. Trumbo trade good insurance for Davis, made sense I'd do it since you gave up nothing;

2. Sign Davis for less;

3. Do not sign Alvarez, Kim, or Gallardo, but sign Zimmerman (which is what I advocated at the time);

4. sign O'Day as that was good sign;

5. Work hard to lock up Manny;

6. Do not offer QA to Wieters (Disclaimer: At the time I assumed he would turn it down also, so I can't get on DD about that)

7. Sign Fowler

1. Trumbo trade good insurance for Davis, made sense I'd do it since you gave up nothing;

2. Sign Davis for less;

3. Do not sign Alvarez, Kim, or Gallardo, but sign Zimmerman (which is what I advocated at the time);

6. Do not offer QA to Wieters (Disclaimer: At the time I assumed he would turn it down also, so I can't get on DD about that)

7. Sign Fowler

Can't do these things if PA is the owner.

2. Sign Davis for less;

7. Sign Fowler

I just think that would have been a no-go from the start. It was widely assumed that Zimmerman would be heading back toward the Midwest where he is originally from. Many people assumed it would be Chicago or Milwaukee, but Detroit also fits that narrative too. I just don't think he would have ever seriously considered Baltimore.

Gallardo is the most egregious. Also wouldn't have released Miggy considering how bad this rotation was on paper going into this season.

Kim I liked at that time because I assume this club could scout worth a damn. Guess not.

Personally I think waiting until the last possible second to sign Fowler and then having no backup plan aside from Rickard is inexcusable. We can talk about Trumbo being able to play the OF, but that's not a good plan.

I'm a bit meh on Alvarez, but he *might* turn it around. The problem I don't like Alvarez is that this club is really in a similar situation as last year. No flexibility. We have a ton of DH types masquerading as OF'ers or IF'ers (Reimold, Kim, Alvarez, Trumbo).

I liked the QO to Wieters. But that's because I didn't think there was a snowball's chance in hell Boras would accept it. I also like O'Day because of how durable and effective he's been.

Davis I think we were bidding against ourselves, but that's the function of letting Cruz walk. Who's your alternative there? It's just bad management by Duquette.

All in all, there are some other starting pitchers and OFers I'd have looked at. And I would have done it earlier on instead of the MO of Duquette.

I'll post more later. Need to hop on a conf call.

I think many of us thought there were a lot of question marks in our offseason. If you could redo it' date=' what moves would you make. Please do not include ridiculous trades. Here are our major moves:

Trading for Trumbo

QO to Wieters

Resigning Davis

Resigning O'Day

Rule V Rickard

Signing Kim

Signing Alvarez

Signing Gallardo

Releasing Miggy (technically spring training)[/quote']

Trading for Trumbo, Yes he's at 1B

QO to Wieters, Yes and hope he doesn't accept, no bad 1 yr deals

Resigning Davis NO

Resigning O'Day NO

Rule V Rickard, Why not, but I would have hoped that he wouldn't be able to make my team

Signing Kim, No way

Signing Alvarez, No way would have signed Carter for 2M to be full time DH

Signing Gallardo, No No way. He pitched like he was injured last year, our medical staff pointed out the injury...and big surprise he is injured and on DL

Releasing Miggy (technically spring training), should have dumped him last year when we could have a least gotten a bag of balls

Would have used the Davis/O'day/Gallardo/Kim/Matusz money

to sign an OF'er (Heyward, Upton, Cespedes, Fowler, etc..

and a starting pitcher of the Leake variety

Would have had serious extension talks with Schoop and Britton and hopefully got something done

Trading for Trumbo, Yes he's at 1B

QO to Wieters, Yes and hope he doesn't accept, no bad 1 yr deals

Resigning Davis NO

Resigning O'Day NO

Rule V Rickard, Why not, but I would have hoped that he wouldn't be able to make my team

Signing Kim, No way

Signing Alvarez, No way would have signed Carter for 2M to be full time DH

Signing Gallardo, No No way. He pitched like he was injured last year, our medical staff pointed out the injury...and big surprise he is injured and on DL

Releasing Miggy (technically spring training), should have dumped him last year when we could have a least gotten a bag of balls

Would have used the Davis/O'day/Gallardo/Kim/Matusz money

to sign an OF'er (Heyward, Upton, Cespedes, Fowler, etc..

and a starting pitcher of the Leake variety

Would have had serious extension talks with Schoop and Britton and hopefully got something done

If we are pretending PA isn't owner, then the best chance would have been Upton. How does that look now?

Honestly, except for Kim and getting Davis for a ridiculous sum, I would have kept the offseason the same. When Gallardo comes back, I think he knocks Ubaldo to the bullpen and we get rid of Matusz. Gallardo is good when healthy. He looks like a bust now, but I think as the season continues; we'll see we made the right move

1. Given Fowler the opt-out. It's understandable why the Orioles didn't want to give up a draft pick but they would have gotten another draft pick the following year by making him a qualifying offer. He would have been the OBP guy the Orioles desperately needed.

2. Sign Johnny Cueto or Jordan Zimmerman.

3. Sign a second SP. The Orioles had a bad rotation last year and lost their best pitcher in free agency. Even if Gallardo matched Chen's production, they still would have needed to sign another SP to upgrade the rotation.

4. Not re-sign Chris Davis or offer him a smaller, short-term contract. The Orioles were bidding against themselves on this one.

5. Not sign Alvarez and Gallardo.

1. Sign Chris Carter to DH

2. Trade for Adam Lind to play 1B

3. Keep Miguel Gonzalez if he passed the physical

4. Take a look at any FA's who didn't require compensation (Happ/Kazmir/Cespedes)

5. Not resigned O'Day or Davis. No compensation offer for Wieters

6. Not traded Clevenger for Trumbo

7. Not signed Gallardo

8. Re-signed Steve Pearce to play LF/1B

I would have non tendered Flarethy to keep Pearce. I love that guy

The only one you could criticize him for is Gallardo. Someone made a thread about the SP FA's from 2 years ago. They were mostly terrible. If we do this 5 starts ago then everyone would have said they wanted Latos.

I think the lesson to be learned his that with diminished PED use, FA signings are a bad idea. Especially mid level signings. We're going to need guys like Wilson, Wright, Givens, Rickard to all be cheap starters for awhile. And we're going to need Mac, Walker, Mancini, Cisco to do the same. That's how you keep Manny and Schoop and land a top FA SP.

I don't think any of those moves were bad per se, and the jury is still out on a few. Gallardo was bad alone, but at the time with the assumption that the first-round pick was actually going to Fowler, it made more sense. Alvarez hasn't started hitting but Fowler's not doing any better at the plate.

RZNJ, why no Clevenger for Trumbo?

Would of liked to see the O's have made a play for Pearce. Still not sure why DD seemed to push Pearce into the Chen tier of "Thanks for your time, but time to move on..." list of FAs at the beginning of last winter.

Pearce plays all over the diamond and has great pop for a bench bat. Don't look now but he's batting over .300 with 7 HR. And more importantly, he's walking more.

Probably could of had him for Kim's contract (2 yrs/7 mln)

Archived