The Case for Joe Gunkel

LookitsPuck

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, I believe that the Orioles DO view Gunkel as a prospect, which is why I suspect that they are a little hesitant to add him to the 40-man roster and bring him up just yet.

He was excellent for AA-Bowie last year, and very solid but not quite spectacular so far for AA-Bowie (4 starts) and AAA-Norfolk (9 starts) so far this season.

In my rat's ass of an opinion, he's very close but not quite there yet. That is what guys like Despaigne and Worley there for ...... veterans who can do a reasonably good job to tide the team over until bona-fide prospects like Christopher Lee and Joe Gunkel are ready.

Gunkel had his 2nd consecutive outing in which he failed to go beyond 5 innings last night:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/148799-Go-Gunkel!/page5

Since being promoted from AA-Bowie earlier this season, Gunkel has a 4.04 ERA and a 1.219 WHIP for the AAA-Tides.

Actually, I believe that the Orioles DO view Gunkel as a prospect, which is why I suspect that they are a little hesitant to add him to the 40-man roster and bring him up just yet.

He was excellent for AA-Bowie last year, and very solid but not quite spectacular so far for AA-Bowie (4 starts) and AAA-Norfolk (9 starts) so far this season.

In my rat's ass of an opinion, he's very close but not quite there yet. That is what guys like Despaigne and Worley there for ...... veterans who can do a reasonably good job to tide the team over until bona-fide prospects like Christopher Lee and Joe Gunkel are ready.

Gunkel had his 2nd consecutive outing in which he failed to go beyond 5 innings last night:

Since being promoted from AA-Bowie earlier this season, Gunkel has a 4.04 ERA and a 1.219 WHIP for the AAA-Tides.

Gunkel had a better outing tonight against AAA-Durham.

He pitched 6.33 innings, ceding 2 runs (1 of which scored after he left the game, with reliever Zach Phillips on the mound.)

He did give up 8 hits, 4 of which were doubles.

Not better than this guy....

14 IP 2 ER 1.07 WHIP

Mike Wright

Players I'd rather see start than Joe Gunkel

1. Bundy

2. Despaigne

3. Worley

4. Wright

5. Mac

Gunkel has no chance at starting for us this year.

Be careful with those reverse jinxes, my brother! ;) :rofl:

Gunkel had a better outing tonight against AAA-Durham.

He pitched 6.33 innings, ceding 2 runs (1 of which scored after he left the game, with reliever Zach Phillips on the mound.)

He did give up 8 hits, 4 of which were doubles.

Gunkel had a very solid outing tonight.

0 Walks and 7 Strikeouts in 7 Innings Pitched.

He also had an outstanding Strikes-to-Balls ratio: ) 93 (69 Strikes, 24 Balls.)

FOR COMPLETE RESULTS: O http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/148799-Go-Gunkel!/page5

After watching his last outing, I think we'll get some help from Wright in the second half. Part of the reason I say that is that a month ago it was clear to me that Wilson was the guy and we needed to forget about Wright for 2016, and I'm almost always wrong about such things.

o

Gunkel began the game by ceding 6 consecutive singles, which netted 5 runs.

He then retired 18 out of the final 21 batters that he faced.

18 OUTS: 11 Groundouts, 3 Flyouts, 2 Strikeouts, 1 Popout, 1 Lineout

J.D. GUNKEL O (vs. AAA-Toledo, 7/22)

IP:l 6

H:;; 9 l(1 Double, 8 Singles)

R:l) 5

BB:)0

SO:)2

Pitches: 94 (71 Strikes, 23 Balls)

2016 ERA: 4.34 (AAA-Norfolk)

PITCHES BY INNING

24 (20 Strikes, 4 Balls)

11 (61 Strikes, 5 Balls)

12 (10 Strikes, 2 Balls)

17 (12 Strikes, 5 Balls)

12 (11 Strikes, 1 Balls)

18 (12 Strikes, 6 Balls)

Finally got to see Gunkel in person. He did not impress. Beyond the numbers, it's contact, contact, contact against him. Lots of hard hit balls - including the outs. And tons of foul balls. He does not have a put-away pitch.

His line would have been much worse if not for having Janish behind him.

Archived