Mancini. Cisco, Trumbo, Alvarez and Wieters

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buck like Heim better.

I'm intrigued by Heim.

I am as well. Fellas I don't mean to annoy ya'll. I just feel like DD drafted multi catchers the prior 2 drafts because this day was coming for Wieters. I like Wieters but this is baseball business. If we dont get sp we will need to out hit teams again. With Cruz we made the playoffs. Without hime we didnt. With Trumbo we may make the playoffs again. Having that extra BIG bat makes a hugh difference for the O's IMO as well as a good pen of course.

Buck like Heim better.

I'm intrigued by Heim.

I don't really understand the love for Heim's defense. He's had 9 passed balls and 7 errors. Sisco has 3 and 4. Yes, Heim seems to control the running game better (33% vs. 27% CS%), but it seems to me he has some holes in his defensive game, too. And of course, he has a .677 OPS at Frederick, which is nothing to write home about, though OK for a 21-year old catcher at that level (Sisco OPS'd .809 at age 20 there).

I don't really understand the love for Heim's defense. He's had 9 passed balls and 7 errors. Sisco has 3 and 4. Yes, Heim seems to control the running game better (33% vs. 27% CS%), but it seems to me he has some holes in his defensive game, too. And of course, he has a .677 OPS at Frederick, which is nothing to write home about, though OK for a 21-year old catcher at that level (Sisco OPS'd .809 at age 20 there).

I'm strictly working off scouting reports. I obviously don't get to see them play.

I find what I read intriguing.

I'm not too worried about the TJ surgery. Most pitchers last 7-8 years after having it, and that's beyond Wieters' likely shelf life as a catcher in any event. I'd be more worried about how his knees and back hold up, the typical issues that catchers face.

I don't think Wieters' 0.8 fWAR, 0.6 rWAR tells the whole story here. Wieters has come up big in some big situations and I think he's a stabilizing force on the team.

With all that said, do I want to sign him to some huge, multi-year deal? No.

I like Wieters. For under 10 million I would keep him all day. but he will want a multi year deal in the teens I suspect. Imo thats bad for the O's in the coming years when Manny and Schoop are next to sign. I want Mancini to takeover for Pedro as well.

I'm not too worried about the TJ surgery. Most pitchers last 7-8 years after having it, and that's beyond Wieters' likely shelf life as a catcher in any event. I'd be more worried about how his knees and back hold up, the typical issues that catchers face.

I don't think Wieters' 0.8 fWAR, 0.6 rWAR tells the whole story here. Wieters has come up big in some big situations and I think he's a stabilizing force on the team.

With all that said, do I want to sign him to some huge, multi-year deal? No.

The problem with comparing raw WAR is what is the difference between what you are getting and what you could get.

If you were to replace Trumbo with additional playing time for Rickard, Kim and Reimold what do you lose?

If you replace Wieters with Joseph and Pena what do you lose?

DD has stocked up on catchers, for two reasons, he knew Matt was going to be a FA and might be leaving.

Its called planning for the future.

Not all prospects get up to the bigs and enjoy a good career.

MLB Catchers are also a rare and valued commodity.

They make great currency for trades.

Well regardless of how you feel (gut) He is #8 in WAR at the RF position. Who BTW leads the majors in HR and the team in RBIs by 10 over C. Davis. Who is replacing that next year?
It's not how I feel it's what the Metrics tell me. Trumbo is a very poor defensive RF and an above average 1B. He is also having a career year. His career average is much lower and you can expect hin to regress.

I'm strictly working off scouting reports. I obviously don't get to see them play.

I find what I read intriguing.

Sisco from what I have seen, doesn't look 100% comfortable behind the plate, its not natural to him.

Im not saying that he can't fix himself, heck, look at how Clevenger was able to change his defense.

He has a great bat, and will most likely hit at the major league level.

IMO, I have my doubts, that it will be as catcher.

It's not how I feel it's what the Metrics tell me. Trumbo is a very poor defensive RF and an above average 1B. He is also having a career year. His career average is much lower and you can expect hin to regress.

They said the same about Nelson Cruz.. How has that worked out? PED's maybe .. Big Papi for sure

Archived