Supply and Demand

Bahama O's Fan

You can look at managing a franchise similar to managing a portfolio. Sell high, buy low. Knee jerk reactions based on what's going on today rarely benefit. I would take a long term view on every move if I was GM. If every move you make makes the team better five years from now, it will only take five years to get to a point where you are competitive every year for a very long time. Being competitive every year is the key because the best team rarely wins the world series. So, you maximize your chances.

You can look at managing a franchise similar to managing a portfolio. Sell high, buy low. Knee jerk reactions based on what's going on today rarely benefit. I would take a long term view on every move if I was GM. If every move you make makes the team better five years from now, it will only take five years to get to a point where you are competitive every year for a very long time. Being competitive every year is the key because the best team rarely wins the world series. So, you maximize your chances.

So, instead of being a buyer for some washed up, average starter, I would sell Alvarez for a couple of prospects. Alvarez can't hit lefties and he can't hit breaking balls. He is keeping Trumbo in right field which isn't working. So, sell, don't buy. Someone who plays above average D and hits a little less than Alvarez is more valuable than Alvarez.

Seeing what Chapman brought back, and the supposed massive return Miller would get, I'd put Britton out there and see who bites. O'Day can close.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Best Yoda voice...

On this you have based

Seven batters faced

I am more impressed that Atlanta turned a minor league free agent and a waiver claim into a real prospect.

Yes, that was a great job by them. We aren't getting rid of Britton, but I would not hesitate to see what you could get for O'Day or Givens. Givens is cheap and controllable so I wonder if we could get quite a bit for him.

It is not that it is just a sellers market, most of the pitchers available have multi-year contracts so the team can always trade the players over the off-season where there would be more buyer and teams would have more payroll open up. I think the prices asked will go do down as the deadline approaches.

Archived