The Orioles would build a better team if they sold

GoldGlove21

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree that having a fire sale wouldn't be prudent but we certainly could have moved 1 or 2 players that would have enhanced our team for the future without heavily impacting this year's run. Aren't we seeing the annual Trumbo swoon and isn't he redundant to what we just acquired in Pearce? And couldn't we get buy without Wieters the final 2 months? Just some ideas are surely these guys aren't part of future plans. Maybe I'm wrong.

You are wrong. Wieters replacement hasn't had an RBI all year. Could be the worst hitter in the American League. Anyway no GM would do what you suggest. Trade off a couple of players off 150 million dollar payroll team and watch attendance plummet. Making the playoffs is a good way to get season ticket purchases for the next year.

My response would be, "in contention for what?". We are a flawed team and we start seeing a teams ace 2-3 times in a 5-7 game series and we play like crap on the road, we are in trouble. I like this team, but not as much as the team that lost to the Yankees in the playoff a while back. The play in game in the playoffs will be fun, but I just do not see this team making it to the AL Championship much less the World Series. I would be shocked if Bundy did not start to have soreness in his arm and a bullpen arm did not get hurt. IF Chris Davis turns it around we might be able to out slug our way to the playoffs, but we need an ace and to be able to score runners without hits.

I think the Cubs should have been sellers this year. Just a matter of time before Jake turns into a pumpkin and injuries hit.

Sorry but I don't agree with such logic utilizing past events to justify or coerce current decisions. Decisions are made through acquiring all facts known with an eye towards your goal. If their goal was to win this year, we probably would've aimed higher than Gallardo and Miley, don't you think?

If the goal was to win this year without regards for the budget or the future, sure. If this were a simulation without consequences for going over budget and gutting the farm you'd see a lot more teams going for it, and then resetting the computer when they end up as the 2015 Phillies or the 2014 Tigers.

Says you. I look at matchups, not numbers.

No, says statistics. I'm pretty sure the 2001 Mariners and their 116 wins, who scored more runs than any other team and gave up less runs than any other, probably thought they had at least a 50/50 chance too. How did that work out for them?

Adding a second round of playoffs to get to the Series made it a lot harder for the favorites to win it all. In the past 25 years, how many times do you think the team with the best overall record for the year won the Series? Care to guess?

Three times. Three.

No, says statistics. I'm pretty sure the 2001 Mariners and their 116 wins, who scored more runs than any other team and gave up less runs than any other, probably thought they had at least a 50/50 chance too. How did that work out for them?

Adding a second round of playoffs to get to the Series made it a lot harder for the favorites to win it all. In the past 25 years, how many times do you think the team with the best overall record for the year won the Series? Care to guess?

Three times. Three.

Some Oriole fans haven't forgot the 69 season and 109 win season, to the 100 win NY Mets in the WS

Says everyone who knows. Over the totality of events that could be analyzed.. It's ok for you to like your method, it's not ok for you to try to explain it or defend it to others. The math proves you incorrect.

I think trying to defend it or argue it to others is within bounds. Trying to present it as having the logical or mathematical high ground is a definitely folly, though.

I cannot express how strongly and completely I disagree with the take of the OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived