Wieters watch...

Sports Guy

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way, anyone notice who is the 2nd best-hitting catcher in the Carolina League? It's none other than Koby Clemens!

Poor guy is going to have to live in his fathers shadow for the rest of his life. 2-3 years ago it was probably pretty nice to be Roger's son.

I hope he's given a fair shot, because he supposedly a good guy.

For some reason I don't think Wieters will see the majors this year.

Bowie by June 1

Baltimore after Labor Day for good.

Sorry Norfolk.

I am not even sure it will take that long.

I am not sure the Orioles are in as big a hurry as you two suggest. From the Sickels interview of Stockstill:

JS: Going down to the A-ball level here, the Frederick Keys in the Carolina League, the big name here is Matt Wieters, your catcher out of Georgia Tech that you drafted last year, off to an excellent start hitting .340, .418 on base [percentage], .531 slugging. He's hitting for power, he's getting on base, he's not striking out that much for a power guy. I'm assuming his defense has been solid. How quickly is he going to be moving up to double-A?

DS: I don't think we're going to put a timetable on that. He's going to stay at double-A ball [sic]for the foreseeable future, at least. There are some things that he's working on, just a matter of playing every day at a level where he can succeed so he's got confidence going into the next level. He is a first-class person. He's very professional in everything he does. He's extremely coachable. There just aren't enough good words to say about him, and I think that he's going about his business well and we'll just constantly evaluate his progress, and go from there.

I wouldn't "rush him", but:

He's already shown that A-Ball is wasting his time after this month.

I think he gets the 40 man invite at the end of the year, because why not ?

O's go into next year with Hernandez, Quiroz and Weiters rotating between C, DH, and 1B ( along with Scott ) - even if he "struggles" like Markakis and Jones, would you notice compared to what the O's are getting at C and 1B now ?

Hernandez just isn't worth a total dump until next All Star Break.

Maybe Huff can get a decent prospect at the deadline this year to open up LF for somebody ( Reimold, Redman, Terraro, Moore, etc. )

The only thing I would like to see more out of Wieters is doubles.

His OPS in A+ ball is better than what Jay Bruce did but Bruce had 43 xbh in only 268 at bats!

lol, if that is the only complaint, he must be doing pretty well.

Also remember, Frederick usually suppresses doubles while increases HR output.

lol, if that is the only complaint, he must be doing pretty well.

Also remember, Frederick usually suppresses doubles while increases HR output.

Yea, i know...Would still like to see more doubles but I agree with you and when Rowell missed so much time, I am sure they pitched around him more.

The only thing I would like to see more out of Wieters is doubles.

His OPS in A+ ball is better than what Jay Bruce did but Bruce had 43 xbh in only 268 at bats!

Don't forget Bruce was at least a year younger than Wieters in A+. Not that I'm dissing our boy Matt, but I'm just saying.

Archived