Patience is a virtue

evenparthrough9

Is it just me or is Gausman getting severly squeezed???

Fuller has gotten pitches very clearly outside the zone and Gausman doesn't seem to get any help from the ump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe it's you and others. Sorry but I get tired of reading the excuse that the umpire is squeezing the O's pitchers.

Maybe it's you and others. Sorry but I get tired of reading the excuse that the umpire is squeezing the O's pitchers.

I find this a little condescending. Are you watching the game or game cast? I never complain about umpiring .. But he s been pretty bad so far this game. Including in both situations where detroit scored.

Sure, would be great if gausman overcame it. But still, he has been bad tonight. I doubt it has anything to do with it being the Orioles and moreso with him being a bad plate caller.. But it's still there whether you want to believe I'm considering it an "excuse".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you consider how important each game is' date=' this was the worst umpired game I've seen in years. With the O's and Machado in that situation, with his HR power you never know what could have happened.[/quote']

It was a disgrace to the game of baseball. How is Joe West still umpiring when everyone knows he is atrocious.

I realize that lots of baseball fans are opposed to an automated strike zone, though I don't fully understand why. What I really can't understand at all is how anyone (provided he or she believes an automated ball-and-strike system is feasible, as seems pretty clear from everything I've read) could watch tonight's game and then say, "Yeah, that's a fairer and more enjoyable game than we'd have with an automated system."

One of two things really needs to happen: use, or at least test, an automated system or systems, or get umpires who are willing and able to apply a consistent strike zone that is not affected by his personal whim or preference and is based solely on where the pitch crosses or misses the plate, not on how it's framed or presented to him by the catcher. I don't know whether the ball-and-strike umpiring is worse than it was 100 years ago, or 59 years ago (when I started watching games) or 20 years ago. When the fans watched from the stands or on TVs with limited cameras, or listened on the radio, with rare exceptions we had no way of knowing whether the calls were badly made? Now we can all see how bad some of those calls are -- and in some games or parts of games, how repeatedly and flagrantl bad they are. It would be asinine -- no, it is asinine -- not to try to make it better.

Archived