at. TIGERS, 9/11

Sessh

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• No one would use the word "underachieve" to describe someone who didn't meet expectations due to injuries or circumstances beyond their control. Like that's just not what that word means in normal usage.  But technically, sure, Tiger Woods achieved less than was expected of him. Lol. 
    • This is a different team. Corbin Burnes would have made a difference IMO and we have now acquired him.  I am not dogmatic in believing that it has to be Miller and nothing/nobody else. I am saying that there is a serious argument to be made that Miller or another elite backend bullpen weapon is the piece to take us over the top when the Fall get's here. With a team this good who has legit WS aspirations with a strong argument to be made that we have the best team in the AL, I would hate for us to pin our WS hopes on a pitcher like Craig Kimbrel at this point in his career. IMO he is not good/reliable enough. If we have to get into a game (in October) where it turns into a battle of the bullpens, I would prefer not to have bring a knife to a gun fight.  
    • I appreciate this deep cut non-#10 Tejada. 
    • LOL.  Technically, he underachieved because of injury but I think most people equate underachiever with a lack of effort.  
    • I'm not sure if there are any hunters here, but it can be a pretty demanding full-body workout. I suspect Markakis wasn't sitting in a tree stand. I walk miles in rough terrain, good times.
    • I understand your argument, but I think your word choice of "underachieved" isn't helping. When it comes to a guy like Tiger, it's hard to call that guy an underachiever, especially when his work ethic is known and undeniable.  The guy can barely walk and he's still out there trying...that's not an underachiever. Underachieving, IMO (and I think what a lot of people think of when they hear the word) is when someone doesn't live up to to their potential, or work hard to maximize their potential...outside of being injured.   Plenty of things can de-rail a career, I don't think that means that individual is an underachiever.  I don't think Griffey is an underachiever, I don't think Trout is, either.  I just think they haven't had the careers they might have had if they were able to stay healthy. When debating these things, it's helpful to have a definition of which to work with.  So while I agree with you that guys like Tiger, Trout, Griffey and others haven't had the careers they were supposed to have, that doesn't mean they were underachievers.  They just got de-railed...now some of that was their own doing, some of that is just the tolls of playing their sports.  
    • Well deserved. I would have liked to have seen him finish his whole career Baltimore, but mostly have seen him be able to play in the 2012 playoffs. I also appreciate that because of him I know what a kinkajou is.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now