Sensible Plans (I think)

Greg Pappas

Signing Keddeny is/was an obvious mistake... teams make them all the time (Mora). It doesn't preclude a GM from recognizing an error and attempting to correct it (unless your the O's :D ). There is little to no chance that the Red Sox would deal bothh Ellsbury and Buckholz for Miggy, hence the offer of Buckholz, Lugo and a third player. I don't want Lugo either, but he would provide a stop-gap until we secure a player to man SS for years to come. I am trying to be realistic in the way I look at these trade possibilities and while I understand your need for making the Sox feel pain, I am more concerned with getting the best value for Miggy.

Bedard is one to keep, I want no part of moving him unless he gives no indication of his desire to remain an Oriole, by agreeing to an extension.

I understand your views on these things though.

If Lugo was/is a salary dump why couldn't he be the 3rd player with Ellsbury and Buckholz??

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The thing with Bedard, though, is that his physical talent (and therefore his value "on paper") is significantly greater than his heart/drive/intangibles. That to me is the type of player you're going to get the best "real world" value back for. I also think Erik Bedard would be better off on a team where he can be the #2 starter he is instead of being under all the pressure to be the "ace" and savior of the staff as he is here. I wouldn't take just any deal in the world for him but I definitely think he should be dangled at the deadline to see what offers we get. He has certainly given indications of being unhappy here, whether he has said that directly or not.

I understand your take on Bedard, as it is a reasonable way to view him. As SG and you are both saying, if we were able to get a bounty for Bedard, we'd have to consider it, no doubt. I am not opposed to trading him, but again, Bedard to me would/should command as much as Tejada, if not more. That point is open for debate, but wow, we sure would be able to command an awful lot for Eric.

Hmmmm, Bedard to the "?". Let's consider the possibilities... :D

This is what i said in another thread:

3 way trade:

Tejada and Bradford or Walker to the White Sox

Dye to the Dodgers

Loney, Kemp, Uribe and Gonzalez to the Orioles

Trade with Mariners:

DCab, Millar and Gibbons for Adam Jones, Richie Sexson and Mark Lowe

Trade with Braves:

Trachsel and Ray for Andrus and Jo Jo Reyes.

Whichever of Walker or Bradford not traded to Chicago is dealt to the Tigers or whatever playoff contender wants to overpay.

I would trade Mora to wherever for whatever if he allows it.

I would also look to deal Ramon over the next year...If we get a great offer now, move him...If not, hold off on trading him for now.

So, this is what it looks like:

1st- Loney

2nd- Brob

SS- Uribe...Andrus in a year or 2.

3rd- Mora...If he is dealt, work something else out here

LF- Kemp

CF- Jones

RF- Markakis

DH- Sexson

C- Hernandez...Unless traded...Bako can play out there year...Wieters possibly up quickly.

Bedard....Signed to big extension...4/40ish

Loewen

Gonzalez

2 of Reyes, Olson, Penn, Guthrie, Burres

Pen:

Lowe

Hoey

Starters who don't make the rotation, possible cheaper FAs and minor leaguers can fill out the rest of the pen.

Baez and Parrish likely here for the time being as well. Perhaps make Baez the closer for now and try to drive up his trade value.

This is what i would do for now.

BTW, don't particularly want Sexson but he could give us some pop, hopefully allow us to dump Gibbons and maybe, if he bounces back, allows us to trade him or get picks for him.

Guest rochester

I hold on BRob...I still like him batting first (left-handed)...

Miggy can go anywhere...but I still believe send him somewhere that may actually have a chance to win that he will be more productive. I just do not see the decline being (completely) physical. Maybe he needs a rest, but anyone who plays 162 games a season IMO does not fall off the table at 30.

The NL has some close races.....I would get Bedard, DCab, Trax, Penn and the entire BP out there....These guys could make a difference for a team that is desparate and may give up more "just about ready" prospects to win this year...

Saying that, no player should be untouchable ever..... you never know....what may be offered...

I understand your take on Bedard, as it is a reasonable way to view him. As SG and you are both saying, if we were able to get a bounty for Bedard, we'd have to consider it, no doubt. I am not opposed to trading him, but again, Bedard to me would/should command as much as Tejada, if not more. That point is open for debate, but wow, we sure would be able to command an awful lot for Eric.

Hmmmm, Bedard to the "?". Let's consider the possibilities... :D

I believe he would command more than Tejada at the deadline with quality starting pitching always at a premium.

SG, I have to give you an "A" for time and effort, but I see various issues with these ideas.

I just don't envision the Dodgers trading their best positional prospect (1B-Loney) and a promising young OF like Kemp to get Jermain Dye. Dye has provided good power again this year, but his .221/.279/.419 effort this year is substandard for those two youngsters. He is only 33, but seems an old 33 to me. Dye posted career numbers last year, but looks to be a totally different player this season.

While it's not an unreasonable idea, I just can't see the Dodgers buying into it.

The Mariners would surprise many if they were to deal Adam Jones, but were they to entertain offers for him they would certainly look to be getting a good deal more back than DCab, Millar and Gibbons.

I just don't envision the Dodgers trading their best positional prospect (1B-Loney) and a promising young OF like Kemp to get Jermain Dye. Dye has provided good power again this year, but his .221/.279/.419 effort this year is substandard for those two youngsters. He is only 33, but seems an old 33 to me. Dye posted career numbers last year, but looks to be a totally different player this season.

While it's not an unreasonable idea, I just can't see the Dodgers buying into it.

My answers are within:

http://www.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48361

The Mariners would surprise many if they were to deal Adam Jones, but were they to entertain offers for him they would certainly look to be getting a good deal more back than DCab, Millar and Gibbons

I personally wouldn't trade Jones but Olney has predicted A Jones to land there...Whether there is anything behind that or not is beyond me but if there is, Jones could be available.

In this deal, we take on Sexson, his 200 BA and his huge contract. They take back Gibbons to help the hit on salary but we also trade them Millar, who could really help them out this year..They are still in the running for the division. If we had to take back Broussard(since he would be redundant for them), that would be fine as well.

Plus, the Mariners need another starter as they fight for a playoff bid.

So, there are few things to ask:

1) Are the Mariners willing to deal Jones?

2) Do they like DCab's upside?

3) Are they desperate or even how desperate are they to get rid of Sexson's contract(owed probably about 22 million)?

Sorry I'm late here.

The Cubs would be potential trade partners not just for Roberts, but for all of your valuable trade pieces (Tejada, Bedard, DCab).

There are countless ways to mix and match things, but there are easily a dozen or so guys over here that could fit into a package.

At the ML level,

Sean Marshall: Big tall lefty with good stuff and great composure;

Ryan Theriot: Ryan Freel Lite;

Mike Fontenot: So far so good since his callup, looks like he could be a decent regular at 2B, and a logical replacement for BRob;

Matt Murton: Should be good for an 800-850 OPS as an everyday LF;

Sean Gallagher: Solid middle-of-the-rotation righty, think Hayden Penn without the injuries;

Angel Guzman: Electric stuff and 4 plus pitches, but a constant injury risk.

In the minors:

Eric Patterson: Great bat that can play right away, still hasn't settled on a defensive spot (2B or OF);

Donnie Veal: High end lefty starter prospect, has struggled in 2007;

Tyler Colvin: Speedy versatile OF that's hit well and figures to move through the system fast, concerns about plate discipline and bb/k;

Ronny Cedeno: Flopped bigtime in the bigs last year, but still young and showing flashes again this year in AAA;

Jake Fox: Big bat in need of a position, possible mashing RH DH type.

Mark Pawelek: 2005 #1 pick seems to have stalled.

Mix and match them however you wish; there are all kinds of possibilities.

Sorry I'm late here.

The Cubs would be potential trade partners not just for Roberts, but for all of your valuable trade pieces (Tejada, Bedard, DCab).

There are countless ways to mix and match things, but there are easily a dozen or so guys over here that could fit into a package.

At the ML level,

Sean Marshall: Big tall lefty with good stuff and great composure;

Ryan Theriot: Ryan Freel Lite;

Mike Fontenot: So far so good since his callup, looks like he could be a decent regular at 2B, and a logical replacement for BRob;

Matt Murton: Should be good for an 800-850 OPS as an everyday LF;

Sean Gallagher: Solid middle-of-the-rotation righty, think Hayden Penn without the injuries;

Angel Guzman: Electric stuff and 4 plus pitches, but a constant injury risk.

In the minors:

Eric Patterson: Great bat that can play right away, still hasn't settled on a defensive spot (2B or OF);

Donnie Veal: High end lefty starter prospect, has struggled in 2007;

Tyler Colvin: Speedy versatile OF that's hit well and figures to move through the system fast, concerns about plate discipline and bb/k;

Ronny Cedeno: Flopped bigtime in the bigs last year, but still young and showing flashes again this year in AAA;

Jake Fox: Big bat in need of a position, possible mashing RH DH type.

Mark Pawelek: 2005 #1 pick seems to have stalled.

Mix and match them however you wish; there are all kinds of possibilities.

Always a pleasure Dave, thanks. I mentioned BRob for Colvin and Gallagher earlier... does this seem a fair offer or are we getting too little as someone suggested earlier? I think it's a fair offer, but perhaps it could be expanded.

Were you the GM of the Cubs, what would your priorities be this season and whom might you be looking to acquire?

Yeah, that's why I chose the Cards deal as #1 for BRob. I like Colvin as well, but Rasmus is just sooooooo good. :D

except the cardinals have adam kennedy as their 2nd baseman, not aaron miles - although he is not producing, he is in year 1 of a 3 yr. $10 mill deal. I dont they are going to replace him this early

Sorry I'm late here.

we traded him -- he was an oriole. he went to the cubs in the corey patterson deal. you are going to trade brob for him?!?!? that is the equivalent of trading brob for patterson :eek:

Always a pleasure Dave, thanks. I mentioned BRob for Colvin and Gallagher earlier... does this seem a fair offer or are we getting too little as someone suggested earlier? I think it's a fair offer, but perhaps it could be expanded.

Were you the GM of the Cubs, what would your priorities be this season and whom might you be looking to acquire?

The Cubs don't really excite me. I could see dealing Miggy to them but not Bedard or BRob.

Archived