2018 Payroll

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think a lot depends on how this season unfurls.

I think Buck and Dan would prefer to have as competitive a team as possible for their last year.

If they insist on major league ready players for Britton and Machado they can remain competitive.  They could get 3 or 4 really good young players (plus prospects).

Just now, 25 Nuggets said:

If they insist on major league ready players for Britton and Machado they can remain competitive.  They could get 3 or 4 really good young players.

Or they can keep them and try and make a final push in 2018, then add instead of subtract when the team is 3GB of the second WC at the deadline.

I think one scenario is as likely as the other.

7 minutes ago, weams said:

Do the Orioles? Or do the posters here? I don't yet. If you have it down tight I would appreciate an article from you. Thanks for all you do.

I don't have it down yet.  I hope someone does.   

I know there are different compensations for different categories of free agents.  Being in the top  30%, 50% and 60% of players at their position matters.  I don't know how that percent is determined.

Its appears that someone that loses a player in the 30% category gets two players in return.   I think one of those can be a first rounder which is the opposed of what I have heard from some sources.  Some has said this is the last year that a first rounder will be received.   Obviously I don't understand it well enough.

I will dig into it when I get a chance.    I hope others already have.

15 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Here is a list of the FA's available then. We will have money to spend. Now how to spend it?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/08/2017-18-mlb-free-agent-list.html

Too early really, but:

C - Sisco will be given his shot.

1B - Davis entrenched

2B - Schoop still around

3B - Mike Moustakas if Manny is traded.  $100 mil deal instead of $400 mil deal.

SS - Hardy probably vests

LF - good young OF via trade

CF - good young OF via trade, or Ben Revere if he bounces back this year

RF - move Adam Jones here!

DH - resign Kim or play Mancini, or value FA, many options here.  J.D. Martinez?

SP - assuming Tillman extends... sign one or two guys but don't break the bank.  There will be many middle-rotation guys.

RP - lefties Tony Watson / Jake McGee interesting, but mostly rely on youth

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I know there are different compensations for different categories of free agents.  Being in the top  30%, 50% and 60% of players at their position matters.  I don't know how that percent is determined.

Its appears that someone that loses a player in the 30% category gets two players in return.   I think one of those can be a first rounder which is the opposed of what I have heard from some sources.  Some has said this is the last year that a first rounder will be received.   Obviously I don't understand it well enough.

I don't believe this is right.  The determining factor as to whether there is compensation remains whether the player is offered a QO.  The draft pick lost by the signing team depends on which one of three financial categories the signing team is in.  The compensation pick received by the team losing the player depends on the total amount of the contract and whether the losing team is over the luxury tax limit.  It is the teams, not the players that are in different categories, as I understand it.

1 hour ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Too early really, but:

C - Sisco will be given his shot.

1B - Davis entrenched

2B - Schoop still around

3B - Mike Moustakas if Manny is traded.  $100 mil deal instead of $400 mil deal.

SS - Hardy probably vests

LF - good young OF via trade

CF - good young OF via trade, or Ben Revere if he bounces back this year

RF - move Adam Jones here!

DH - resign Kim or play Mancini, or value FA, many options here.  J.D. Martinez?

SP - assuming Tillman extends... sign one or two guys but don't break the bank.  There will be many middle-rotation guys.

RP - lefties Tony Watson / Jake McGee interesting, but mostly rely on youth

I was thinking Moustakas or Todd Frazier, let Hardy walk and put Manny to SS. Or is Hardy's option a player option?

3 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I was thinking Moustakas or Todd Frazier, let Hardy walk and put Manny to SS. Or is Hardy's option a player option?

It's a vesting option but it may not happen actually.  He needs 600 plate appearances this season.  He could have vested w/ 1150 combined plate appearances from '16-'17 but he needs more than 600 to reach that number, after having only 438 in 2016.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

You always get a first rounder if your player signs a 50 million dollar gross contract. 

24 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

It's a vesting option but it may not happen actually.  He needs 600 plate appearances this season.  He could have vested w/ 1150 combined plate appearances from '16-'17 but he needs more than 600 to reach that number, after having only 438 in 2016.

So he gets traded or benched before 600. Right?

Archived