Dylan Bundy 2017

Frobby

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Did Sale have a reconstructed elbow and shoulder capsule calcification issues?

No but he isn't 22 with a violent delivery that has scared the heck out of every expert either  

Bundy is long past his Tommy John.  As for calcification issues, who knows what the relationship is?

We know Bundy suffered an injury   We don't know that he is particularly injury prone   That said I agree that managing innings will be tough given how well he is pitching  

7 hours ago, tntoriole said:

While I appreciate the craft involved in Dylan's game this season, it is a little worrisome that every game we talk about how he doesn't have any number of pitches.  And that he has already seemingly become just a "crafty" pitcher getting by on pitch sequencing and location with little room for error because his overpowering stuff that he used to have has been mysteriously absent.    But nobody seems to think this is a problem, so we will just go forward. 

Most pitchers don't have all their pitches every game.   The ones who can figure out how to succeed with what they have that night are the pitchers you want to have.     Tillman's been doing this for years.    

I find it amazing that people would rather have Bundy throwing 95-97 mph and lasting 5 innings an outing than have him doing what he's doing now.    He's one of the top pitchers in MLB so far and has given us a very good chance to win in every game he's pitched.   That's what I want to see.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Most pitchers don't have all their pitches every game.   The ones who can figure out how to succeed with what they have that night are the pitchers you want to have.     Tillman's been doing this for years.    

I find it amazing that people would rather have Bundy throwing 95-97 mph and lasting 5 innings an outing than have him doing what he's doing now.    He's one of the top pitchers in MLB so far and has given us a very good chance to win in every game he's pitched.   That's what I want to see.

I would certainly not want that.  I was just harboring some fading residual hope that he might yet have BOTH overwhelming stuff AND ability to pitch craftiness...i.e.  more towards the Kershaw, Sale end result than the Tillman end result.    But I still love the end result. 

I would hope for him that at some point he is able to find a way to turn it up, as an option, ONLY when he needs to.   Variability in speeds doesn't only mean 93 and downward.  The Verlanders, Kershaws, King Felixes, etc. do have that ability when the situation calls for it to find the 97-98.  But, of course, that capability is extraordinarily rare and Dylan is and will be a very good pitcher even without it. 

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Actually I'm on mobile soaking my feet in the tub. :P

Would depend on how he looks and how the innnings looked.  Maybe 160?

You should be soaking your arm, we need a reliever. Are you a RHP or LHP? 

28 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I would certainly not want that.  I was just harboring some fading residual hope that he might yet have BOTH overwhelming stuff AND ability to pitch craftiness...i.e.  more towards the Kershaw, Sale end result than the Tillman end result.    But I still love the end result. 

I would hope for him that at some point he is able to find a way to turn it up, as an option, ONLY when he needs to.   Variability in speeds doesn't only mean 93 and downward.  The Verlanders, Kershaws, King Felixes, etc. do have that ability when the situation calls for it to find the 97-98.  But, of course, that capability is extraordinarily rare and Dylan is and will be a very good pitcher even without it. 

I'm wondering if Dylan is no longer capable of 96-97, or has decided he has better command and gets deeper in games when he dials it back a little.  He did throw a couple of 94 mph fastballs yesterday and averaged 92, a bit higher than his last couple of starts.  

I know I liked the Dylan that was throwing 96 his first few starts last year better than the Dylan that is throwing 91 this year.

Will all the breaking stuff take a tole on his arm?

Is the use of the cutter reducing his FB velocity just like the O's company line had been when they didn't want him throwing it.

5 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I know I liked the Dylan that was throwing 96 his first few starts last year better than the Dylan that is throwing 91 this year.

Is the use of the cutter reducing his FB velocity just like the O's company line had been when they didn't want him throwing it.

I have concerns about whether the pitch mix will take a toll on his arm; I just don't know the answer. I also wonder whether amping up to 96-97 takes a toll on his arm.   Those are things I don't really know.   What I do really know is that Bundy has thrown 8 straight quality starts and has an ERA of 2.26.    I'll take that every day and twice on Sunday.   

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

Yeah. 

o

18 OUTS: ) 6 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play)6 Flyouts, 3 Strikeouts, 2 Popout

DYLAN MATTHEW BUNDY )))))) (vs. TIGERS, 5/18) )) [  

IP:.lll. 6

H:l.lll  8 )) (2 Home Runs, 3 Doubles, 3 Singles)

R:llllll 6

BB:.ll 4

SO:))ll3

Pitches: )  97 )(61 )Strikes, .36)Balls)

2017 ERA: 2.970)

2017 WHIP: )l 1.127 )  57.67 Innings  (65 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l) .236 )  49  for 208 

PITCHES BY INNING

16 ll(91 lStrikes,  )l.7 ))lBalls)

15 ll(61 lStrikes,  )..9 )lllBalls)

14 ..(13 llStrikes,  lll1  ll.Balls)

19 ll(10 lStrikes,  )l.9 )lllBalls)

22 .l(15 lStrikes,  ...7 )lllBalls)

11 llll(81 .Strikes,  .)3 )lllBalls)

o

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

And we are facing arguably the best pitcher in the AL in 2017, at least for now...Ervin Santana.Yep. He's real good.

I know we had serious interest, what ended up being the reason we didn't land him? He has far exceeded what I anticipated seeing from him, in Minnesota or anywhere else. It's not the toughest place to pitch but it's frustrating seeing what we ended up with knowing he was there to be signed.

Dylan has the mentality that makes you think he wants the ball when we need a win most. It feels like an unusually big game for May out of the division -- I'm excited for it. 

Archived