Kim vs Santander

Richmond Bird 9

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Right, so no DH and Trumbo essentially took Kim's spot (and went 2 for 4).    

Remember that thread mocking the fact that Arroyo was still in the majors?   The Reds have won Arroyo's last four starts.

Considering that in his last five starts he has an ERA of 5.47 and has only pitched 26 and a third innings I am guessing he is really inspiring the offense to score a lot of runs.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a Kim fan. It's true that the better Mancini/Rickard/Smith play, the less important Kim is for the roster. And the way Buck has been setting the lineups, we could probably lose Kim without much impact on our results. But I also think that Kim is more valuable to the team than he is likely to return in a trade, and more valuable to the team than Gentry. If you drop Kim, then as soon as there's an injury to an OFer or Mancini starts to struggle vs righties we're going to have pretty poor offense from the LF spot more often than not. 

I'm not convinced about Santander, but it would still be nice to hold on to him if possible. And if they decide to cut one of the current OFs either to add Santander or to add a reliever, I think it will be a mistake if they cut Kim instead of Gentry. I like Gentry's defensive contributions, but I simply feel his skill set is more replaceable. 

If we go another month and Kim still hasn't contributed much offensively, my feelings may be different. For now I'm not going to hold Kim's slow start against him, since it's been a small and scattered sample size. 

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Considering that in his last five starts he has an ERA of 5.47 and has only pitched 26 and a third innings I am guessing he is really inspiring the offense to score a lot of runs.

Not that it dramatically changes your point, but I said four games, not five (20.1 IP, 4.87 ERA).    

52 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I'm a Kim fan. It's true that the better Mancini/Rickard/Smith play, the less important Kim is for the roster. And the way Buck has been setting the lineups, we could probably lose Kim without much impact on our results. But I also think that Kim is more valuable to the team than he is likely to return in a trade, and more valuable to the team than Gentry. If you drop Kim, then as soon as there's an injury to an OFer or Mancini starts to struggle vs righties we're going to have pretty poor offense from the LF spot more often than not. 

I'm not convinced about Santander, but it would still be nice to hold on to him if possible. And if they decide to cut one of the current OFs either to add Santander or to add a reliever, I think it will be a mistake if they cut Kim instead of Gentry. I like Gentry's defensive contributions, but I simply feel his skill set is more replaceable. 

If we go another month and Kim still hasn't contributed much offensively, my feelings may be different. For now I'm not going to hold Kim's slow start against him, since it's been a small and scattered sample size. 

Smith has always been injury prone though. As has Gentry. 

12 minutes ago, weams said:

Smith has always been injury prone though. As has Gentry. 

Right. And regardless of our specific players, it's just pretty likely that one of our 1b/Dh/Of types will be injured at some point.

Rickard, Bourn, other David Lough types can do the Gentry job if we don't have Gentry. Not sure who else that's available is likely to do the Kim job as well as Kim over the course of a year. .350 OBP guys are usually taken. 

Kim in 2016 from April 10 to May 07, 26 Plate Appearances, 9 Games, 6 Games Started.

Kim in 2017 from April 03 to May 05, 49 Plate Appearances, 16 Games, 12 Games started.

Seems to be ahead of both starts and Plate Appearances in 2017 as opposed to 2016 just not as good of a performance.

7 hours ago, dan-O said:

I base my opinions on what I see, man. I dunno what to tell you. You can look at a hitter and say, yep, that guy's got a chance to be a MLer. That's what I saw when I watched his ABs in ST. 

I might be right, I might be wrong. Who knows! 

For what it's worth, I totally agree.

He looks and carries himself like a future all-star. He's got Manny swag, even if he doesn't have his skill.

This could just be totally misguided and a silly way to judge, but I was very impressed with him.

I really like Kim also and it stinks that his role has been so diminished. With that said it would probably be best for him and the team if he was dealt.

I think he has value to a team needing offense and anyone without a guy anchored at 1B. So I imagine that there might be a couple of options in the NL.

i think Kim might well be released but I'm hoping we can get something of value. 

4 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If the O's package an international pick with him, they could get a team's 20th best prospect.  Do the O's have any international picks left?

It's not the pick. It's the money for the pick that we never use. And we sold the top money and the second tip money. We still can sign. There is no draft. 

32 minutes ago, weams said:

It's not the pick. It's the money for the pick that we never use. And we sold the top money and the second tip money. We still can sign. There is no draft. 

But we do routinely go over our draft allotted budget by MLB. We either use all 100% allowed or get near the 105% limit. So we do spend on National talent. We just don't spend on young, International talent. 

Back to Kim. I'd like to see us shop him for a proven MR. The Giants are a mess in the OF but have some pretty decent relievers. That's one team that I could see make an early swap. Bourn would come to the team in the short term with an eye towards keeping Santander. 

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

But we do routinely go over our draft allotted budget by MLB. We either use all 100% allowed or get near the 105% limit. So we do spend on National talent. We just don't spend on young, International talent. 

Back to Kim. I'd like to see us shop him for a proven MR. The Giants are a mess in the OF but have some pretty decent relievers. That's one team that I could see make an early swap. Bourn would come to the team in the short term with an eye towards keeping Santander. 

You can't trade National draft money. I was stating that we do not trade international picks, because there is no draft. Just money allocated for signings that we would never make anyway. 

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

People keep talking about Kim and his OBP like it's the end all be all.

1. He has no power, speed, and his defense is sub par

2. His current OBP is .306

3. His current OPS is .624

4. His OPS in the second half last year was .738

5. Most everyone realizes that his trade value is negligible.

Yet, many talk about him as if he's irreplaceable and just assume he's the guy who had the great first half last year.  Buck doesn't think so and he might be right.  Kim better start hitting.  Soon.

I don't really think like what you are suggesting.

i like Kim for his heart and hustle. Anyone watching realize that he's mediocre in the field. And that his power did not transfer from the Korean league to the majors.

With that being said he does have quality at bats. And it's pretty hard to hold his OBP against him when his playing time has been sporadic and seems to be going the wrong way

He has half the RBIs of Davis with 70 less at bats and he's not making twenty million dollars. Before the last couple days you could say the same about Trumbo who has 12 RBI vs 4 for Kim with 100 more at bats. And Trumbo is mediocre in the outfield as well.

14 minutes ago, weams said:

You can't trade National draft money. I was stating that we do not trade international picks, because there is no draft. Just money allocated for signings that we would never make anyway. 

Do we know for a fact that draft spending wasn't a factor in Dan trading those three competitive balance picks during his tenure?

Save money on the reliever you are trading, save even more money by not having to sign a pick.

Archived