Buster Olney: 'No Chance' Orioles Re-Sign Manny Machado

PressBoxOnline

The O's are in contention - so I think they hang onto Manny for as long as they have a shot. It seems like the Front Office is OK with him walking in Free Agency if they can have two more legit shots at playoffs/championship. If the O's fall out of it at any point in the next two years - I think you see him traded.

I really think putting so much money into one player is silly. If you're the Yankees or Dodgers, sure, they have the resources. But $320m or whatever for one player is not only crazy, but incredibly risky.

Just something to think about - this team was its best in 2014 ...... where Manny Machado played 82 games, Matt Wieters played 26 games, and Chris Davis had his worst season before being suspended. 

The Tigers haven't won one yet with Miguel Cabrera or Verlander. The Angels haven't done much with Trout or Pujols. The Reds haven't won with Votto. The Dodgers haven't with Kershaw. The Yankees only won "one" championship with A-Rod, Teixeira, and Sabathia. Superstar players don't guarantee championships. Good, solid, deep teams do though, at least in my opinion.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, theocean said:

The O's are in contention - so I think they hang onto Manny for as long as they have a shot. It seems like the Front Office is OK with him walking in Free Agency if they can have two more legit shots at playoffs/championship. If the O's fall out of it at any point in the next two years - I think you see him traded.

I really think putting so much money into one player is silly. If you're the Yankees or Dodgers, sure, they have the resources. But $320m or whatever for one player is not only crazy, but incredibly risky.

Just something to think about - this team was its best in 2014 ...... where Manny Machado played 82 games, Matt Wieters played 26 games, and Chris Davis had his worst season before being suspended. 

The Tigers haven't won one yet with Miguel Cabrera or Verlander. The Angels haven't done much with Trout or Pujols. The Reds haven't won with Votto. The Dodgers haven't with Kershaw. The Yankees only won "one" championship with A-Rod, Teixeira, and Sabathia. Superstar players don't guarantee championships. Good, solid, deep teams do though, at least in my opinion.

I agree with everything but letting Manny walk into free agency. He needs to be dealt if you are not resigning him.

2 hours ago, weams said:

Schoop will not be the Orioles Third baseman. Neither will Chris Davis. And Manny will be a free agent. 

Any chance that Mountcastle could be the third baseman of the future?    I know Tony has said he doesn't see him sticking at shortstop, but could he convert to third?

20 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Any chance that Mountcastle could be the third baseman of the future?    I know Tony has said he doesn't see him sticking at shortstop, but could he convert to third?

If he doesn't have the arm for short he probably doesn't have the arm for third.

17 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd just like to say I am finding it very amusing how quickly folks are turning on Machado.

Throw a bat at someone?  No problem.

Charge the mound and start a brawl?  Sure.

Hit 220 while the team is struggling?  Uh oh! 

Just saw this...excellent post. 

12 hours ago, Rich Mac said:

I'm not sure where you are getting that 30% number from...but here:

That quote is from the article that YOU provided. 

Is my math off?  They were making an average of 1.8 million, it dropped to 1.3 million after they added a cap "for parity". 

As for quoting the current figure...so?  The fact that payroll took a sharp dive is much more unusual and noteworthy than the fact that it has risen since that date.  How long did it take for players to get that money back?  Factoring in inflation the 1.8M they made in 2004 would be equivalent of close to 2.3M in 2016 dollars.  That means that since the cap was introduced NHL salaries have been basically flat.

20 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

Schoop is awful at third. On a Jimmy Paredes level. He is definitely not headed to the left side of the infield anytime soon.

Schoop was very green when we had him playing 3B in 2014.    He's got a lot of experience now and the game has slowed down for him.    I think he could make the adjustment and be an above average 3B over time.    He certainly has the arm for it.   Honestly, his range at 2B is underwhelming and he might be a little better suited for 3B IMO.    I say all this while fully appreciating that he did not play 3B well in 2014.

Manny and his agent have given DD a contract to stay in the future. Whatever he wants, I'll give him. Dude is the present and future of the team. However, it makes sense considering our ownership to keep Davis and then let Manny walk. I hope to god we keep him, Schoop and Britton over the foreseeable future, but knowing our luck; we won't. I have hope that he will stay here unless we trade him or he signs elsewere. 

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

Schoop was very green when we had him playing 3B in 2014.    He's got a lot of experience now and the game has slowed down for him.    I think he could make the adjustment and be an above average 3B over time.    He certainly has the arm for it.   Honestly, his range at 2B is underwhelming and he might be a little better suited for 3B IMO.    I say all this while fully appreciating that he did not play 3B well in 2014.

Agreed, he was very young and may far better now. Although I just suspect it would take a while. But I agree with you that his range at second has not been what I had hoped. He makes a few great plays, but my mental image of Schoop is that of Jeter -- going after a lot of balls that just seem to get past him. His limited mobility and arm would play great at third. But I reckon he would be loathe to start training at third as long as his best friend is still wearing orange.  

There's really nothing new here, we've been saying it for the last two years.  They can't re-sign him.  Even if he took 10/300 with a buyout, the Orioles cannot afford that.  It's too much payroll % tied up in one player.  Their options are pretty simple, if they're out of contention by late July, field offers, and if one makes sense, take it.  If they're in contention, or don't get the offer they want, then wait and move him this winter.  But they can't go into 2018 with him as a pending FA.  They won't have the leverage, and they simply cannot allow him to leave as a FA for nothing, that would be the absolute worst case scenario, one that would cripple the franchise.

40 minutes ago, esmd said:

There's really nothing new here, we've been saying it for the last two years.  They can't re-sign him.  Even if he took 10/300 with a buyout, the Orioles cannot afford that.  It's too much payroll % tied up in one player.  

Not in my opinion.    If you can sign Manny on those terms, you jump on them, and then ask yourself why you spent $23 mm/yr on Chris Davis.    

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not in my opinion.    If you can sign Manny on those terms, you jump on them, and then ask yourself why you spent $23 mm/yr on Chris Davis.    

I agree.   Manny is the guy you would have wanted to give the big contract to, not Davis.   I guess management saw the writing on the wall that Manny is gone.

Jeez.... please someone... anyone... give me examples of 10 year 200 million+ dollar contracts that have worked out for the team?

it just drives me crazy how people keep talking about it and GM's keep doing it and yet there is almost zero cases of it resulting in a winning franchise?

I guess there must be a secret database that claims that attendance is driven by having a "superstar" on your roster even while losing 90+ games a year

I have on multiple occasions listed the top 10 contracts all of which were given out by teams that have had almost no success afterwards

But sure sign Manny, and enjoy a decade or more of losing

Archived