Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 99ct said:

Its one of those "intangibles" - which is hard for us on the OH to deal with because we like to quantify things - but I agree with you. Remember last year, how KG would pitch well, get the lead, and then immediately give it back? Well, in tonight's post gamer presser, Caleb said that KG is "one of those horses who needs to be whipped a little bit" when he gets the lead. (I am on mobile and don't have a link, but its easy to find and I'd encourage you to watch if you're interested). Knowing little things like that (and further, knowing how to act on them!) can be really helpful, IMO. 

Yes and the other side is that making a blanket assumption like "Caleb handles pitchers better than X" could also be faulty.  It could be that given a brand new pitcher there wouldn't be much of a difference,. But it could also be true that over time Caleb is good at LEARNING how to deal with specific pitchers over time and he has developed a rapport with Gausman and it better equipped to helping him have a good game.

Which means that trying to come up with one stat like CERA to "prove" that a catcher is better than another is problematic.  And looking at CERA with single pitchers is probably too small a sample size to have meaning but it also doesn't mean that such a relationship doesn't exist.  It's very possible that Caleb is a better choice to catch Gausman, whether it's due to ability or experience with KG.  And maybe Welington could get that good over time, or maybe he couldn't.

14 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

KC looking for "cheap pitching" like Liriano and Estrada. I'd give them Miley for free

Glad you mentioned KC.

Maybe it's because I am an Orioles fan, but I don't feel like the media rides the Royals as hard as us. Their future is just as dire, if not moreso. They are all in, choosing to go down in flames. Their farm is very weak, and they aren't trading any of their core guys who will be gone after the year. 

But I feel like when the Orioles get mentioned at the deadline, we get ridden for trying to compete this year, when we even have more time than the Royals to trade some pieces in the future.

Someone help me understand why notions of the Royals trying to compete this year is seen as romantic, without any mention of the future, whereas when we do it, it's that we are doomed to post '97 demise if we don't sell our assets. 

I believe the Royals should get a similar level of scrutiny. 

3 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

Duquette might not be as stupid as usual 

I am highly skeptical that the O's could get a better deal for Britton than the Yankees got for Chapman.  Maybe I'm forgetting someone, but as far as I know the only top prospect who has changed hands in this deadline cycle has been Eloy Jimenez (in the Quintana trade).  To get a top-10-in-MLB prospect like Gleybar Torres plus additional pieces for Britton would be a major coup for Duquette; asking for more in this market, with Britton's recent health issues, sounds like a way to ensure not making a deal at all.  

2 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I am highly skeptical that the O's could get a better deal for Britton than the Yankees got for Chapman.  Maybe I'm forgetting someone, but as far as I know the only top prospect who has changed hands in this deadline cycle has been Eloy Jimenez (in the Quintana trade).  To get a top-10-in-MLB prospect like Gleybar Torres plus additional pieces for Britton would be a major coup for Duquette; asking for more in this market, with Britton's recent health issues, sounds like a way to ensure not making a deal at all.  

Which might be his actual goal.

8 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

Glad you mentioned KC.

Maybe it's because I am an Orioles fan, but I don't feel like the media rides the Royals as hard as us. Their future is just as dire, if not moreso. They are all in, choosing to go down in flames. Their farm is very weak, and they aren't trading any of their core guys who will be gone after the year. 

But I feel like when the Orioles get mentioned at the deadline, we get ridden for trying to compete this year, when we even have more time than the Royals to trade some pieces in the future.

Someone help me understand why notions of the Royals trying to compete this year is seen as romantic, without any mention of the future, whereas when we do it, it's that we are doomed to post '97 demise if we don't sell our assets. 

I believe the Royals should get a similar level of scrutiny. 

I agree completely. The royals are always media darlings even though it can be argued that they won with smoke and mirrors and an amazing bullpen the same way we did. Even when we were playing each other it the playoffs it was always the Royals deserved a world series because they hadn't been in so long when the Orioles hadn't either.

Honestly I think it's because guys like Olney and Rosenthal (who I respect for the most part) have a thing against Angelos while guys like Keith Law have always given the Orioles no respect because they never fit his analytical methods. Not to mention  he thinks our pitching development is terrible (which I agree with). Not to mention that Baltimore sports is widely disrespected nationally for some reason. 

Really though, I don't get the whole lovable underdog label the Royals got, especially since their players are not that likeable at least in my opinion. 

5 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

This really sounds like to me like "We don't want to trade Britton. We're not planning to trade Britton. We want to keep Britton for our big stretch run. But if someone wants to make a really dumb offer for Britton, we will work with him. And don't say we didn't try to move Zach Britton at the trading deadline."

So this unnamed "evaluator" -- whatever that's supposed to mean -- says it's 50-50? You have to respect a guy who's willing to go out on a limb with a prediction like that. And now that Buster has passed that along, I feel so much more informed. Not.  :down:

Archived